• Register
  • Help

Topic: Access to GigaStudio Instrument names and Stacked instruments

Share/Bookmark

Access to GigaStudio Instrument names and Stacked instruments

Hi everybody,

Im am writing a program in Borland Delphi to assign instruments in Gigastudio by pushing Organ Stop buttons of my Johannus "Rembrandt" organ (3 manuals + pedal). Communication between organ and PC is done via Midi commands.

I encountered two problems.

1) How can I read the names of the instruments which are currently loaded in Gigastudio, either bij:
    - Knowing where Gigastudio saves them in memory
    - Reading them from the Performance file saved by Gigastudio
    My preference would be the first option, this is how I did it in the previous version of my program, using a Soundblaster Audigy card. My current soundcard is a Phase 28 from Terratec.

2) How can I control stacked instruments by sending Midi commands to Gigastudio. I want to use this to facilitate pushing multiple organ stops per manual. Each manual has its own Midi channel.

Regards,
    Kees.

Re: Access to GigaStudio Instrument names and Stacked instruments

I would think that the location of the memory names would be proprietary. Unless you make an inside contact, you would reverse engineer it.

I would think that a better way would be to pre-define your own instruments (GSIs) and performances (GSPs), and rely on the user loading those.

Regarding control of the stacked instruments, you can easily switch stacks with a program change command. You can also assign MIDI CCs to various controls from within GigaStudio. To store those, save the instruments as GSIs.

Good luck with your project!

Re: Access to GigaStudio Instrument names and Stacked instruments

Thank you for the advice. These are my conclusions:

1) For the time being I will work with a fixed performance file so I can use the bank/patch information in my Delphi program. In the mean time I keep looking for the structure of the internal memory or the GSP file to extract instrument names. When I open the GSP file with Wordpad I can read the instrument names, so maybe backward engineering reveals enough of the file structure to extract names/bank/patch information. Please let me know if you find some inside information.

2) I cannot use the instrument stacks provided by GigaStudio. Indeed I can load/unload complete stacks using banknr #8192 but I cannot change the contents of the stack by MIDI commands. Instead I will use the same approach as in my Soundblaster Audigy program: I will emulate stacking by using different ports and replicating the external MIDI channels to multiple internal channels. In my previous program I used dynamic emulation to fully use the limited space (2 ports of each 16 channels). In the case of GigaStudio I will try static emulation, by assigning 4 fixed midi channels X 8 ports to each of the 3 organ manuals and pedal. This should be enough polyphony for emulating the largest church organs. I will have to send 32 Note on/off commands for each organ keystroke so I hope I will not get into latency problems.

Kees.

Go Back to forum