• Register
  • Help

Topic: Should use Win 95 or 98...I want a STABLE fast machine.

Share/Bookmark

Should use Win 95 or 98...I want a STABLE fast machine.

I\'m using a Pentium III 500, 196 ram, 2 x IED Fireball KA 13.6 Gb....running Gigga and a few audio app...Should I use Win 95 or 98 for a fast =, stable and kick system..I don\'t care about internet and all that crap. Thanks

Re: Should use Win 95 or 98...I want a STABLE fast machine.

Hi,
    take 98, just to make sure you are getting the FAT32 Filesystem, which is undoubtely faster than FAT16. I heard that late 95er Versions have implemented FAT32, but I am not sure.
    To get rid of the linked Internet-features (which is really something annoying in 98) you should - after installation - do away with all the favourites and links, and after some agressive trial you really manage to gain more control over you PC than Mr. Gates.

If you furthermore avoid to install the Internet-explorer (take Netscape), the links will not work properly anyway.

Horst.

Very simple. Install windows98 standard version. Then go to the website www.win98lite.com i think thats what its called, and get a tiny program called win98lite. It strips all the irrelevant cack like internet explorer from your 98 setup. I use it and I guarantee you, you will have a **** hot stable system, that runs very fast, with the benefits of the windows 98 kernel improvements.

Bob

Has anyone experimented with keeping a version of W98lite on a separate dis; using a stripped down hardware profile with it that just has the devices that you need for recording etc. (i.e. no printer, modem etc.; and switching between the two version depending on what you are doing? Does it work effectively or is it more trouble than it\'s worth?

Has anyone tried downloading Win98lite ??? EVERYTIME I tried it, my computer crash. My internet is on a Mac and i NEVER experience any crashes before.

I\'ve had great success running 98lite (thanks bifop). I have 95% free system resources(!) and everything is really solid, fast and sweaty. My life-quality has actually increased as well, as I\'m a much more happier man now (or has it something to do with those yellow pills? oh well).
    I relly suggest everyone to set up a dual boot system. Maybe it doesn\'t work for everyone, but there\'s no reason not to give it a try.
    There\'s more practical info about the matter on this site (search the threads).

Also, Dr. Freud has a reception at sirfreud@yahoo.com
    I do charge by the hour.

Freud, the mighty wizard from Hell

Wait until Febuary and get Windows 2000. the NT systems are designed to be the most stable, and Giga is compatible, right?

Go Back to forum