• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Spectral Morphing" in Giga VSTI

Share/Bookmark

"Spectral Morphing" in Giga VSTI

The Tascam site doesn't go into much detail about this addition, and I don't have the GVST. From what I gather, it lets one change the harmonic content of a sample over time, but there's much I'm curious about:

1. Is it additive or subtractive? (Do you use soft strikes and add the harmonics, or hard strikes and remove them?)
    2. Can it be moduated by velocity?
    3. Can you modulate it with an envelope? (So you can control how harmonics rise and fall in amplitude over time?)
    4. Can you specify the harmonic content? (Can you select which harmonics rise and\or fall, so the fundamental, for example, stays stable, decaying naturally, but the third harmonic or whatever rises and then sinks and then gradually rises and falls until the decay?)

And is anything like this a part of the upcoming Garriton sampler?

Thanks for any insight or links that explain the feature.

Re: "Spectral Morphing" in Giga VSTI

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    The Tascam site doesn't go into much detail about this addition, and I don't have the GVST. From what I gather, it lets one change the harmonic content of a sample over time, but there's much I'm curious about:.
    1. Both, AFAIK. Of course, it's easier to remove what's there than to add what's not. The subtractive approach seems most feasible, like most forms of eq, filters especially.
    2. Yes. A recent post on another forum makes mention of upcoming products that use "SIV Mode", where the DEF filter is modulated by velocity, rather than a CC#.
    3. There is an envelope generator control setting in the .ini files that govern the DEF's behavior. It is limited to EG 1, however.
    4. Of course! The whole point is that it's a dynamic filter. I haven't figured out the entirety of how its parameters function, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    And is anything like this a part of the upcoming Garriton sampler?
    No Idea. Guessing from my theories on how the strad works, I'd say gary has incorporated everything that keeps cpu and RAM usage as low as possible while maintaining the utmost realism.

Belbin

Re: "Spectral Morphing" in Giga VSTI

Great response, Belbin!

I'm wondering if the "morphing" word might be confusing.

The DEF is a morphing filter - think of it as a really smart EQ that can tweak lots of parameters in real time. Spectral Morphing may add more features and processing beyond what the DEF does, but I'm not sure about the details.

Garritan's solo string products morph between two waveforms that are phase and frequency aligned.

GPO also uses a controllable filter that is similar to - but not as complex as - the DEF filter.

I can't wait to hear demos of the new stuff!

Go Back to forum