• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Scherzo with GPO

Cool Scherzo with GPO

I accidentally just posted this in the general discussion forum, so you may already have heard it. It was my very first attempt to use GPO, which I left unfinished back in July last year. This week I found time to resurrect it and write an ending. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Scherzo with GPO

Hello Pingu,

Just one question :

Are you a fan of Star wars and john williams's music ?

Of course, although I was thinking more of Danny Elfmann when I wrte this piece, hence the rather grotesque orchestrations.

OK, John Williams I can hear a little bit; but Danny Elfman? IMHO I don't so. And "grotesque orchestrations"? Sorry, I am a bit of a Danny Elfman fan and this is no Edward Scissorhands. "smile"
    As for your work; it's very entertaining and filled with vast amounts of wondrous sounds and textures. Great use of instrument ranges and techniques. I quite enjoyed.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

New York, NY

It's a very nice piece pingu, I enjoyed it...

I enjoyed it too, very cinematic, and I definately thought "Elfman", at least in spirit. Reminds me of the main theme in "Beetlejuice", what with all the creepy notes falling in pitch and the darting little strings.

IMHO it would be nicer if you use :

legato for the clarinet trill, for the strings run (23")
    May be if you use var 1 et var 2 for repetitive chord (ex : 36")
    I don't know if i am the only one to think this but the bend at 1'04" et 2'17" sound a little bit to much for me.

At least it's a nice work.

Thanks Valouz,

I fully agree - I was trying for more of a legato, but I'm not quite sure how to do it in GPO. I did have the sustain pedal on for the clarinet trills, which I know removes the attacks - but I think it only works on the solo instruments. Adding reverb kind of disguised the problem in the strings, whilst I was listening on Walkman headphones. Now I've burnt it to a CD and heard it over Hi-Fi speakers, though, it really is quite pronounced. Back to the drawing board I think. I'm also not sure how to do variations - I'll have to get the GPO manual out.

Not sure about the pitch bend. I agree it doesn't actually sound like a glissando, but as to whether the glissando it's supposed to sound like would be too much, I'm undecided.

What an interesting sound. GPO just keeps surprising me with what it can do.
    Very nice job. Thanks for posting.

I did have the sustain pedal on for the clarinet trills, which I know removes the attacks - but I think it only works on the solo instruments.
    For sure it comes from this, why don't you use solo instrument ?

About the variation it's cc 22 et 23 on JABB i think it's the same on GPO (i am at job now i can not check)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast