• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New Miroslav Philharmonik orchestral- and choirdemo

Share/Bookmark

New Miroslav Philharmonik orchestral- and choirdemo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=657125 is the page to visit if you want to listen to my new song. Made it the other day, just after finishing a choirsong.

The song is called "THE COLOSSUS OF RHODES"

Hope you like it...
    PS: No need to mention that I was a bit out of time some/many places in this song as I'm perfectly aware of that, but too lazy to do something about it... Apart from that though, I would like to hear your comments...

100% Miro, except the noise which is Bela D Medias free "Scoring Noise". BTW, thanks for that!

Chris

Re: New Miroslav Philharmonik orchestral- and choirdemo

Very nice. A light feel, but large, too. Reminds me somewhat of Sibelius (I know nobody likes to be compared to so-and-so, but compared with Sibelius... not bad...)

Man, I forget how great those samples are. I have the old library on Akai, and I remember being able to do very realistic string parts. The strings do have a great warmth to them, no?

Anyway, again, nice composition. Now on to the other six wonders....

Mahlon

Hi Chris, Wow you really have mastered the use of the Miroslav choirs! Excellent composition. The Miroslav gives a really clean sound but if I had to be critical, I would say the string sound is the weakest sound (IMHO). It just sounds a little to synthy compared to the woodwinds and choirs.

Really like the style of this piece and the other choir piece you have on soundclick.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by mahlon
    Very nice. A light feel, but large, too. Reminds me somewhat of Sibelius (I know nobody likes to be compared to so-and-so, but compared with Sibelius... not bad...)

Man, I forget how great those samples are. I have the old library on Akai, and I remember being able to do very realistic string parts. The strings do have a great warmth to them, no?

Anyway, again, nice composition. Now on to the other six wonders....

Mahlon
    Hehe... I'm working on them.... I just can't decide what to do next, but of course I will complete all of the "ancient wonders"... It's easier to write music when one have a purpose. Mine being to complete my "collection" of songs for these wonders....

And yes, the strings, and not just the strings but almost all of the instruments are very, very warm sounding...

Oh, and thanks for listening....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by KeviD
    Hi Chris, Wow you really have mastered the use of the Miroslav choirs! Excellent composition. The Miroslav gives a really clean sound but if I had to be critical, I would say the string sound is the weakest sound (IMHO). It just sounds a little to synthy compared to the woodwinds and choirs.

Really like the style of this piece and the other choir piece you have on soundclick.

Kev
    Hi Kev!

Thanks for listening! Are there any spesific places where the strings sounds "synthy" or is it just an overall impression? I would like to know so that I could fix it you know. Miro strings does not sound "synthy" IMO so if they do it must be because my lack of mixing-skills... It's so easy to become critically impaired when working on a piece without much rest or external input. Thus, I really appreciate getting the feedback I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shantar
    Hi Kev!

Thanks for listening! Are there any spesific places where the strings sounds "synthy" or is it just an overall impression? I would like to know so that I could fix it you know. Miro strings does not sound "synthy" IMO so if they do it must be because my lack of mixing-skills... It's so easy to become critically impaired when working on a piece without much rest or external input. Thus, I really appreciate getting the feedback I can.
    I guess these things are very subjective. IMO and I really am NO expert, it's the violins that I'm not so keen on. I think Miroslav violins just aren't as expressive sounding as some other library's. Do you layer the ensemble strings with the solo strings? It might just be me, but I often find that my strings sound a bit 'synthy' if I just use the ensemble patches.

Quote Originally Posted by KeviD
    I guess these things are very subjective. IMO and I really am NO expert, it's the violins that I'm not so keen on. I think Miroslav violins just aren't as expressive sounding as some other library's. Do you layer the ensemble strings with the solo strings? It might just be me, but I often find that my strings sound a bit 'synthy' if I just use the ensemble patches.
    Yes, I did layer the ensemble patches with solo patches... And I wrote CC11 data with all of the static instruments and even manually editet CC11 after "riding the expression pedal"... But if you just don't like the strings,well,thats subjective as you say...

Thanks anyway for clearing things out...

Chris

Chris I think the Violins are expressive... Your work is fantastic..Like what you have done with this piece. It has a great feeling to it.. Really hope to hear more like this from you. You have the Choirs sounding nice again..The only thing I would change is a tad bit of reverb. Pull the Violins back a bit..My thoughts of course..Otherwise, excellent work to these ears..What samples did you use for the Violins? Joseph..

Quote Originally Posted by mech289
    Chris I think the Violins are expressive... Your work is fantastic..Like what you have done with this piece. It has a great feeling to it.. Really hope to hear more like this from you. You have the Choirs sounding nice again..The only thing I would change is a tad bit of reverb. Pull the Violins back a bit..My thoughts of course..Otherwise, excellent work to these ears..What samples did you use for the Violins? Joseph..
    My setup was pretty small and standard. One and a half instance of Philharmonik for the entire piece. For strings I used the normal "legato"-patches, 11 Vlns 1, 24 Vlns 1, cellos, contrabass 1, and detache violas if I remember correctly. Nothing special really... I will take into consideration what you said about the strings and reverb. Thanks for your comment and compliment. I really appreciate!

Chris

The strings sound fine to me. Miroslav put an emphasis on having the musicians and singers play and sing with expression so there is plenty of emotion, there's just not the manipulation of dynamics that can be done with a product like GPO.

It sounded great and was good work. Now I think I understand what all the different choir vowels are for. It's about as close to singing words that you can get from a standard library and worked fine for what you were doing.

I've just mostly used the ohs and ahs for backing but I think I'll try something with the choirs more up front. I started a requiem last year using the choir and now I can really add to it. You've enlightened me and I thank you for it.

Phil

Go Back to forum