• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQL Strings - No Staccato?

Share/Bookmark

EWQL Strings - No Staccato?

Hello all,

I recently bought EWQLSO Volume 1 Strings as the VSL Orchestra included in K2 needed a little more support. I've tried using EW samples instead of the VSL for a few projects and I notice there seem to be no staccato samples anywhere in the EW library.

I'm working on a piece similar to Holsts Mars with the VSL strings. There are a few "Quick Up and Dwn" samples but they machine gun all over the place played in repetition.

Am I missing something? I'd imagine any library with legato instruments must have staccato as well.

Re: EWQL Strings - No Staccato?

Quote Originally Posted by nemo_sim
    Hello all,

Am I missing something? I'd imagine any library with legato instruments must have staccato as well.
    I own both Silver and Gold Pro XP and they do have short samples for strings. That said, I'm not crazy about the lower string marcatos. I also think they have spiccato articulations. Neither has the bite I personally like though which is why I use HALion String Edition and HALion Symphonic Orchestra. They have a nice bite in the down and upbow. They also have alternating samples that avoids the machine-gun effect. However, to answer your questions, EWQLSO Strings should most definitely have short attack samples/articulations.

Your not missing anything - EWQLSO Gold wil give you the machinegun effect... There are some K2 scripts which help eliminate it. But the fast up/down are the staccatos if I recall correctly.

Hello all,

I recently bought EWQLSO Volume 1 Strings as the VSL Orchestra included in K2 needed a little more support. I've tried using EW samples instead of the VSL for a few projects and I notice there seem to be no staccato samples anywhere in the EW library.

I'm working on a piece similar to Holsts Mars with the VSL strings. There are a few "Quick Up and Dwn" samples but they machine gun all over the place played in repetition.

You will either need Kontakt to build your own round robin patches (look for ultra TKT script), or get the expention from EW, there's plenty of repetition in there. But there's still no legato intruments in there. There some named legato but they are not reel legato like VSL(I like some of them anyway). In K2 you will be able to create fake legato which are quit good but not as good as VSL.(Look for a script by BIg bob called SIPS).

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up on the ultra TKT. I'll definitely look into that.

Can anyone tell me where to find SIPS? I remember when it first became available I visited the site but I didn't have K2 at the time. Now the site seems to be gone.

Use v1.05 if you're still on K2.1.0. v1.10 doesn't work with it....

Good luck!

Does it work with version 2.2?

Does it work with version 2.2?
    I don't see why not?

If you really want it to sound like "Mars" then you want to play it col legno. I think the EWQLSO XP upgrade has that in it (and I imagine VSL must).

Go Back to forum