• Register
  • Help

Topic: Programming piano repetitions - beginners question

Share/Bookmark

Programming piano repetitions - beginners question

Hi all,

I don't play piano, so forgive this question.
    I've been trying to program a series of short notes (16ths?) leading into a sustained note, all at the same pitch, but I can't get it to sound natural. Are there any tricks to this? Should the pedal be up or down?
    (I've tried with Vintaudio C7 and the Emperor.)
    Any advice welcome.

Cheers, Tim

Re: Programming piano repetitions - beginners question

Hi Tim,
    The only thing I can think of is to vary the velocity of each note slightly and possibly move the timing of some of the notes slightly. A performer playing any kind of instrument wouldn't play 16 note repetitions exactly in time, even if they could do it because it would sound very robotic.

Kev

Agreed. Making this on computers is difficult.

Only from seeing this phraze, and not being given any other instructions, a performer would most likely play it "towards" the long note - both in rhythm and nuance. Sort of "heading for it" and then landing on it.

Try heading for the long note by playing the 16th notes softer, or put any kind of inner loop into it. In a example of 4 short notes and one long you might try: First note at 75% velocity, 2nd at 40%, 3rd note at 25% and the fourth at 100% ... kind of ... . That may get it to "take off" onto the long note.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Thanks both for the replies.
    I've fiddled with the velocities a bit, and made the short notes decelerate slightly as they approach the long note, and I think it sounds more or less OK now.
    It'll be mixed with other stuff later, and that should help too.

Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim rosvall
    Thanks both for the replies.
    I've fiddled with the velocities a bit, and made the short notes decelerate slightly as they approach the long note, and I think it sounds more or less OK now.
    It'll be mixed with other stuff later, and that should help too.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tiny variations (as per human beings) solve realism problems with all MIDI. For note repetitions, timing variation is the most important in my experience. Don't use quantize. Kick a random selection of the notes ahead and behind the accurate timing by a tiny amount. Some developers use different samples but I think that timing variation solves the computerlike problem by itself......much simpler.

Just think about any instrument and think! about how accurate the thing can be played. The answer is not very. I was also surprised in my early MIDI days by just how accurate the ear's/brain's metronome is. You can hear a timing variation of just few 'ticks'.

Frank

Frank

Go Back to forum