• Register
  • Help

Topic: cc64 and MIDI breath controller

Question cc64 and MIDI breath controller

I have bought JABB recently and I am quite impressed about the quality of the sounds and the way how sounds can be controlled. I would like to use the library to practice playing saxophone with my Yamaha WX7 wind controller. The WX7 generates overlapping MIDI note on and off messages for slurred notes (when keys are changed without interruption of the air stream) and non-overlapping messages for tongued ones.

Now to my question, how do the horn sounds of JABB will react on this sequence of messages when CC 64 is not used?

Thank you very much for your help,

Re: cc64 and MIDI breath controller

I use the Yamaha WX5 and I find that there is no overlap when I play. I normally begin by inserting a value of 127 for cc64 for the entire piece, and then I rely on tonguing and slurring to play the part, just as I would with a real horn.

I do find that the samples don't respond too well to my vibrato, and I haven't taken the steps necessary to use the recorded vibrato which would probably involve midi pedals or something like that.

If you set the cc64 signal below 64, all of the notes will sound as though they are tongued.

I'm living in an apartment at the moment, so I don't have many chances to practice my saxes, but I don't mind too much because of the degree of realism that one can acheive using these libraries.

PS This seems to work for the brass as well, and I now think that I could play a mean fiddle with just a little bit of work.

Re: cc64 and MIDI breath controller

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the utility MIDIpipe to transform cc7 transmitted by the WX7 to cc1 required by JABB. There I have the possibility to monitor the messages too and the WX7 transmitts overlapping messages (I would guess the WX5 does it aswell). This behaviour is quite usefull and also required by JABB to correctly switch between tongued and slurred notes. I am unsure what
    happens if cc64 is not used, but your hint sounds very reasonable - thanks.

I guess you tried already to increase pitch bend sensitivity? After some experimentation with this setting I am quite happy with the extend of pitch bend using JABB saxes, but yet not happy with the 'response curve' of pitch
    bending. I think it is too linear and I would like to have more pitch bend change at the beginning (small lip pressure) while decreasing bend change for higher pressures. Maybe I can set it up with MIDIpipe but maybe I need the full version of Kontakt.

Go Back to forum