• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: For Styxx: Cabin Fever Blues

Share/Bookmark

For Styxx: Cabin Fever Blues

And for all us North Coasters---

Here's a little blues in Bb for those of us watching lake effect keep us hemmed up inside a nice cozy home. This is really just a little practice in JABB and mixing. Soloists featured are Alto Sax 1, Electric Guitar, Trumpet 1, Steinway Jazz Piano (still haven't figured out how it's different than a Steinway Concert Piano), and Tenor Sax 2. And I shouldn't forget the drummer (Classic drum set) and bass (Upright 1), though not soloists, they keep the group moving along. Also on this rendition is a non-garritan instrument (sorry) the Mackie Z3 organ (leslies and all).

And you can find:

CABIN FEVER BLUES

by clicking on it!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: For Styxx: Cabin Fever Blues

By gosh, Rich, I no sooner lit this thing up and it
    started snowing outside. Now that, I say that, is
    effective writing... rofl.

Seriously, great job on this. I'm no scholar on the
    varieties of blues, but this has got that feel, man;
    makes your blood bubble and your feet itch... lol.

Really hot work on the trumpet writing!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Great bit of 'Boogie Woogie' Piano playing Rich! Lovely trumpet work. It's really nice to hear JABB do stuff in this style.
    Kev

etLux, thanks for the laughs. Just a jam session to heat the weekend up. With temperatures dropping into th -20 range (windchill that is) you need a little hot blues to warm the innards up!

KeviD, this was just a fun piece, no depth just fun. This style (hot blues) and dixie are my favorite.

Rich

Hi Richard,

I'm wondering how and what you used to record this track. I have a few observations to pass on. I think you played the parts eg: sax, real time record because there seems to be a latency issue on the timing. The guitar part sounds as if it could be tasty except I can't hear it too well. I think the guitar samples in JABB are the weakest part of it. If you're having fun doing it I'm having fun listening.

Ray

I MUST have that piece! I don't like dancing, but now my feet started their own life on your music!!

Raymond

Good ears, Ray! The sax us not live, but it was rendered to .wav in an older sequencer program, Cubase 5.1. My current sequencer is Tracktion 2 and it wasn't until I got JABB that I realized that it did not have aftertouch or intensity recognition in the midi editor for controllers. Consequently, not vibrato in Tracktion 2 (or the new Tracktion 3) as I understand it. Since I play sax, JABB sax without vibrato doesn't sound like more than a bad harmonica.

So I did the sax line in Cubase, rendered it and imported it back to Tracktion. I couldn't do the whole piece in Cubase 5.1 because the program has real issues with my new computer which has a dual core processor. ASIO sync doesn't always happen (so, parts drop out or I just get clicks). The tempos were the same but the render was just out of timing ever so slightly. It made it sound well a little more alive so I didn't fuss with it much.

The guitar was hard to get in the mix. It either stood out too much or stayed in the background. It's not really bad in the .wav file, but compressed down to an mp3 and then compressed at soundclick.com again and well, you hear the result!

Thanks for the comments. I do like to hear about the problems as well as the plaudits.

Rich

Raymond,

You must have put this response in as I was typing the response to Ray's.

The piece is just a fun little jam session. If that doesn't get the foot to tapping, check your pulse! (ROLF)

Rich

Just thought you would like to know. This song has been added to an internet radio sight at soundclick.com. It is a first for me and I'm really flattered. If you haven't heard this you should at least give it a listen. It was fun to do.

Rich

Congrats, Rich!

Well deserved!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast