• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First Fantasia for Clarinet - Marty

Share/Bookmark

First Fantaisie for Clarinet - Marty

In 1897 Georges Marty received one of the Paris Conservatory Contest awards for his "First Fantaisie", a magnificent work for solo clarinet and small orchestra. Here is an arrangement by Danial Bonade set for solo clarinet and piano (copyright Southern Music Co).

This performance was produced with Finale 2006 and the GPO solo Bb clarinet and the Steinway Lite piano. The GPO solo clarinet is a wonderfully expressive instrument to work with and it lends itself completely to works such as this.

http://www.garybricault.com/specialm...tFantaisie.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: First Fantasia for Clarinet - Marty

Oops, Gary the link didn't work. I would like to hear this! Check your link. I will try later.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    Oops, Gary the link didn't work. I would like to hear this! Check your link. I will try later.
    Rich,

Try again please. I am playing now from the link.

Gary

ww.garybricault.com

A lovely work, Gary; and one I know I have never heard
    before; I would have recollected it.

Very nice job on the rendering of it!

Gary, perhaps you might be able to locate the original
    version, for small orchestra?

There must be thousands and thousands of fine works
    out there like this one that we never, ever hear.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

The link works fine now!

Hey! I'm listening to my Junior Recital in College all over again. I played this and it is a very fine work. I must say that your rendition is excellent. It's hard to believe this is done in a notation program. You didn't tweak this out in a sequencer?

You are really bringing back memories. This is just as I remember playing it! I'm sure I have the recording around here somewhere.

Thanks for a great listen and a jog of some fine (and not so fine) memories. Wow, I can't believe I'm hearing this piece again.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    A lovely work, Gary; and one I know I have never heard
    before; I would have recollected it.

Very nice job on the rendering of it!

Gary, perhaps you might be able to locate the original
    version, for small orchestra?

There must be thousands and thousands of fine works
    out there like this one that we never, ever hear.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,

Thanks so much for your comments. This is an astounding work that brings out the best of the clarinet and its performer. The GPO solo clarinet brings out the colors and passion so easily. I only placed the markings and it literally played the rest itself.

I can check around for the original. It seems that this is the only work of Marty that gained notority even though he was a conductor of the one of the orchestras in Paris in the early 1900's.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    The link works fine now!

Hey! I'm listening to my Junior Recital in College all over again. I played this and it is a very fine work. I must say that your rendition is excellent. It's hard to believe this is done in a notation program. You didn't tweak this out in a sequencer?

You are really bringing back memories. This is just as I remember playing it! I'm sure I have the recording around here somewhere.

Thanks for a great listen and a jog of some fine (and not so fine) memories. Wow, I can't believe I'm hearing this piece again.
    Rich,

Thanks very much for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed it and that it brought back good memories for you. I bet your fingers were still feeling the notes all over again.

My daughter performed this as her Solofest audition piece when she was in 11th grade. And I think it was the finest of the solos that she played over the years. Her private teacher is an amazing coach and really helped bring out the best of this fabulous work.

I can assure you that it is 100% Finale notation without any postprocess tweeking or enhancing. I took great pains to make sure every marking was properly placed and reviewed it by ear many time against the paper music. That GPO solo clarinet literally plays itself and with a wonderful fullness and expression that is hard to beat.

As a side, what is interesting is to find a number of errors in the music that has been around for decades and they presist even after many printings.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thanks for rendering this catchy piece, I quite enjoyed the clarinet's melodies, and the shifts in tempo and mood kept the piece interesting. Well done!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Gary,

Very nice music. I enjoyed it very much. The rendition is also very realistic. What effects are applied?
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Gary,

it is a wonderful instrument the Clarinet. Easily overlooked because of the use in Jazz scenes, but really with this setting ... ! I think I will go to some of Rossini's pieces to hear this instrument again. Nice doing and intimate.

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast