• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DAW assembly - first boot problems

DAW assembly - first boot problems

Hi folks,

I am trying to build a new PC DAW (my second).

At first boot the MOBO is not going into the POST test, there are no beeps and no signal to the Monitor.

I have double and treble checked connections. The CPU and fan are properly installed, the RAM is properly installed, the graphics card is properly installed. All the power connections are correct and the five little PN connections are all correct.

When I power up the MOBO LED lights up, the Chassis LEDs light up The RAM LEDs light up. The case fan, the CPU fan and the PSU fan spin. When I have connected HDs and optical drives they all respond.

I returned the Graphics card (E-Buyer) who tested it and said it was OK.

I have removed the CMOS battery many times and switched the CMOS cap back and forth.

I'm left with thinking the MOBO must be at fault.

Before I send it back what other ideas may people have for rectifying this problem? I'm sure many of you have been there before!

The gear is as follows;

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

MOBO - ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX

Antec Titan 550 Server Case - With TruePower 550W PSU

Graphics card - Asus 7600GS SILENT 512MB DDR2 PCI-E

Seagate 400GB & 160GB 7200.10 Drives SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache – OEM

Monitor - V7 V7S20PD 20.1" (1400x1050) 600:1 8ms Silver & Black MultiMedia TFT Monitor 3 Years Warranty

RAM - Corsair (TWIN2X2048-6400PRO) XMS2-6400 2048MB 5-5-5-12 2X240 DIMM Platinum XMS2 Heat Spreader with activity LEDs

OS - Microsoft OEM Windows XP Pro SP2B (Includes Vista Upgrade Coupon) - 1PK

Thanks for any help
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

Re: DAW assembly - first boot problems

Hi David:

There possible could be many reasons for this. What I would try first is to use only 1 memory stick. Place 1 memory stick on slot 1 and boot, and if that doesn't work, then try slot 2 only, and boot, etc. The only way to troubleshoot is to eliminate possible causes. Try the memory thing, and let me know. Are your M/B Bios up to date, and also make sure the bios supports that processor.

Hi again David:

I looked up your board. Place only 1 stick of memory on the second yellow slot, which is the third slot from the processor side, and then boot, and see if it boots. If not, only then try the other slots. let me know

Thanks Dd

I have tried one stick of RAM in all four slots - no joy.

I have tried tyhe graphics card in the 2nd PCI slot - no joy.

Any other ideas anybody?
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

Disconnect everything you can - and try running it outside of your case. Just set the mobo on cardboard or something. There might be a short between the case and mobo.

Also, older PCs just had one set of power connectors. Newer AMD processors have a second power connector next to the CPU. I can't recall if the new Intels have the same.

Best of luck.

Hi David:

That sucks. I had a similar problem once on my A8V board and the memory thing is what fixed it. I also thought it was the M/B or CPU at first, since there was no posting and no beeps. But it ended up being a memory issue.
    The fact its not even posting to me could also be as John mentioned, a short in the system. When you put the PC together, did you make sure your body were always ground to the case. Other likely causes could be M/B, CPU, memory for some reason not recognizing, or even PSU issue, Just becaue the light in the M/B goes on, and every seems like it may be working does not necessarily leave the power supply out of the equation. (I know this is not a lot of help, because it covers most of the major components)

Lease likely cause would be the display card, PCI cards, hard drives, etc. Do you have extra components to sway, one at a time to eliminate the possibilities. How I normally trouble shoot is, I start with the easiest possibility to eliminate and then work to the hardest, For example, with swapping components, I usually start with memory and then work myself to the harder components

So you could start by tryng a different brand memory stick, a different power supply. You don't even have to take the old power supply out of the case, Just unplug your current power supply, and then take another power supply and ground it really well to your case, and just plug in all the M/B power (And also the PSU fan), and see if it posts. You don't need to plug in the hard drives, case fan's or anything else. I know this may seem like a lot of work, but you could also try to remove your CPU and check for bent pins or thermal paste overflow. It could also be a bad CPU.

Sorry david, I am Just thowing lots of ideas out. This is a tough one to solve. Hopefully you will be able to narrow down to the cause. Keep me posted.

Chandler, Arizona

Make sure you have the 4 Pin power connector connected to the motherboard. Also, check your motherboard manual for what voltage memory chips are needed. Many boards won't boot with the wrong memory voltage.

Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA

I just has a similar problem last week building a PC.
    It was that the Mother Board was grounding to the case somewhere.

I took it out. Covered all of the standoffs with plastic tape, clipped some excess metal off of the back plate ( the plate around the PS2 and USB ports etc. in the back, and all is good now.

A few months back I had the same symptoms ( no boot or post ) and eventually determined it was the mother board that was bad.

Test it outside of the case first.

Speaking of cases... a while back I bought an Antec Solo. It has no PS, but I was able to use my Seasonic Super Silencer, which is very quiet.

The Solo is well made, looks good, has good ventilation and cooling for the hard drives, includes sound dampening material on the sides and has a suspension system for isolating your drives from the case. I never hear seeking noises anymore.

For those of us who want our PCs to "shaddup!", I grade the Solo with a solid "A".

Quote Originally Posted by David_Carter

RAM - Corsair (TWIN2X2048-6400PRO) XMS2-6400 2048MB 5-5-5-12 2X240 DIMM Platinum XMS2 Heat Spreader with activity LEDs
    From my experience, but this happened with an Intel board, RAM with 5-5-5-12 did not work well. 4-4-4-12 will probably work.

Go Back to forum