• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Easy Listening - Circle

Share/Bookmark

Easy Listening - Circle

Hello everyone.
    The piece is based on modulation from C to and then back to C - that's why it's named Circle.
    I would appreciate comments on composition itself.
    I tried to produce something simple. Does it sound too simple?
    Does repeating harmony and theme irritate you?

I'm sure you'll recognize some of GPO instruments in those 5 minutes
    "Circle" on soundclick

"Circle" on acidplanet

Thank you for listening.
    Slava
    sfiks

Re: Easy Listening - Circle

Slava,

This is a lovely work based on the circle. Yes it repeats many times but no two times the same, continuously varying. You certainly were able to demonstrate a wide selection of GPO instruments. Thanks for sharing your work with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Slava, Really great piece! I wasn't expect it to go where it did at all! It was a nice surprise on every repetition. Great use of all the different sounds and the music fits the title perfectly.

Keep it up!

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

Marvellous. You did a good job and the repetition.... necessary, without that the piece just isn't working.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by KeviD
    Hi Slava, Really great piece! I wasn't expect it to go where it did at all! It was a nice surprise on every repetition. Great use of all the different sounds and the music fits the title perfectly.

Keep it up!

Kev

... and I listened to your Discovery..... great!

Raymond

I really like the harmonic progression that you are using. The song does not sound overly repetitious to me because you keep changing instrumentation and minor arrangement changes. Good job.
    -Jay

Thank you very much Gary, Kevin, Raymond and Jay!
    I'm glad my music got your attention and you found time to write so pleasant comments. I did 3 arrangements of the piece before I chose this one. Finally my days of doubts are over. At least with this piece.
    Slava
    sfiks

Just lovely, in its tender delicacy and sensitivity, Slava.

You need have no doubts on this one, my friend; it is
    strong work, and a pleasure to the ear.

On the matter of "repitition", you have no concern.
    This can be viewed as just what it is: variation. If you
    had not mentioned it, I would not have thought of it;
    because you've handled it pefectly, keeping interest
    and freshness throughout.

Well done!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    You need have no doubts on this one, my friend
    Thank you, David, for your encouraging words.
    1st arrangement of the piece was written some years ago on yamaha PSR-620 - keyboard with auto accompaniment. I chose the style that would fit the mood, chose the most "listenable" sounds, prewritten drum fill-ins and then just constructed the song in built-in sequencer. I couldn't do much editing there and song was ready in a couple of days!
    I miss those days of my life .
    Now I have a lot of choices and I'm simply lost. It took me more than 4 months to arrange this simple work with GPO, Kontakt2, Vsampler, Stylus-RMX, couple of VST plugins, Roland Xp-60, and Sonar. Did I enjoy doing this? Yes! But frustration of multiple choices is still with me. Do you have the same filling with GPO when you spend days trying to pick up the best patch, even the best velocity or length of the single note? I'm sure you do. We all want our work to sound like Dan's.
    The bad thing is, that I almost don't use paper/pencil approach anymore. If 10 years ago I did believe my "inner ear" and just corrected what was wrong later, now I spend much more time improvising in sequencer and editing. That is the price …
    I read about this "syndrome" often and haven't found solution for myself yet.
    Sorry for long wining (it rarely happens to me) and, again, thanks for listening, David.
    Slava
    sfiks

Hi Slava!

I like the relaxed feeling this piece has. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to "re-work" a piece with a totally different selection of colors... (ohhhh! I sure sound like I know what I'm talking about

Bottom line is I like this work of yours. Your mention of me in your last post is very humbling.

You have the strings playing legato beautifully, it sounds like you got in there and made them sing with the modwheel and overlapping the notes ever so slightly. Great job!

Thanks for posting this!
    Dan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast