• Register
  • Help

Topic: Breath Control

Share/Bookmark

Breath Control

I do not yet own Jazz and Big band. I want to purchase to use with FINALE-and stand alone-with Breath Controller (a Midi Electronic Valve instrument) Is there a way to set the kontakt player to receive breath control (#2)??
    I want to be able to control (at least) volume with breath control.
    Thanks for your help.
    James Ingenito

www.jamesingenito.com

Re: Breath Control

Hi.

I have a breath controller, a Yamaha WX5. It can be set up to supply any of several different control signals, but I use cc2, which is the most obvious one, so my suggestions should work for your instrument. I also set it up to work with GPO -- I haven't tried it out with JABB, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well. I should also acknowledge Tom Hopkins, who basically solved the problem for me.

I posted the solution on the GPO forum last October but to save you searching for it, here it is again. I've included the comments I made specifically about the WX5, in case they are relevant to your instrument also.

It basically depends on using the X-custom version of the instruments, available from the downloads on this site. They provide the extra control you need. You'll use the horizontal slider on the Kontakt Player, the one just below its main window. It has a pull-down menu beside it, which probably says "No controller" when you load the player.

1 Download the X-custom instruments and install in the JABB Library Instruments folder. Relaunch (so that JABB notices that it's got the new instruments).
    2 The WX5 can be set to provide c2, cc7 or cc11 but not cc1, but we will get around that. It probably doesn't matter much which you set the WX5 to, but I use cc2 (the factory setting on the WX5 and the appropriate one anyway, I think).
    3 Load the appropriate X-custom instrument into GPO in the usual way. With that instrument selected, set the slider to cc2 in the pull-down menu just beside it (AHA!) and to either 100% or -100% on the slider itself. (Some instruments require one, some the other. Try the instrument out and see. The ones I've tried out so far require -100%.)
    4 Set the volume control on JABB so that you get a good range blowing hard and soft.
    5 It is possible that you might need to fiddle with the screwdriver adjustments ("wind gain" and "wind zero") on the WX5 itself. I had wind zero set wrongly for a while, and the instrument behaved in some very mysterious ways!
    6 Have fun -- the WX5 with GPO is beautiful. Probably with JABB too.

If any of that isn't clear, ask me about it again.

BTW, this method works much better than sending plain mod wheel messages. If you don't use custom instruments, the mod wheel control takes your instrument down to ppp (not zero), then cuts out suddenly and most unnaturally. With the X-custom method you can die away to a whisper, like you'd want.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ward
    It basically depends on using the X-custom version of the instruments, . . .
    Unlike GPO, JABB doesn't have an X-Custom option. That's because the upcoming K2 version of JABB accepts cc1, cc2, and cc11 data for the mod wheel function. With the present version of the player you must use sequencer MIDI data "transform" or MIDI plugins to change incoming cc2 data to cc1 data at the input of your sequencer.

Tom

Hi again James.

I have just been doing a few experiments with my set up and was about to get back to say that things with JABB are simpler than I said -- as Tom says, there is no X-custom versions of the instruments to worry about, but that's OK because all everything you need is built right in to JABB as it comes. (Except ... read on ...)

Hi Tom.

My version of JABB (or the Kontakt which comes with it) has the menu, offering cc1, cc2 and a few others. But some further experiments suggest that it is not actually connected to anything -- if it has any effect, I haven't noticed it. So to make the breath instrument work with JABB I have had to reassign cc2 to cc1, as you suggest.

I suppose that means that we'll just have to put up with that sudden drop-off from ppp to zero, instead of a smooth fade, until the new Kontakt comes along, because the slider seems to have no effect either. Or am I missing something here?
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ward
    . . . because the slider seems to have no effect either. Or am I missing something here?
    The slider is part of the K1.5 interface as supplied to us by NI. Only in the X-Custom instruments for GPO did we use it. So, in JABB the slider is non-functional.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Unlike GPO, JABB doesn't have an X-Custom option. That's because the upcoming K2 version of JABB accepts cc1, cc2, and cc11 data for the mod wheel function.
    Tom
    That's great news Tom. Time to dust off my WX-5.
    I'm certain that I'm the first to ask, when will the K2 version of JABB be ready?
    Serge

Adding this funcctionality via the K2 version will probably lead to many of the guys on my wind-controller forum buying JABB.

This would become an absolute 'must-have'.

Trond

Go Back to forum