• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which mac shall I buy?

Share/Bookmark

Which mac shall I buy?

Hi everyone!
    You've been absolutely brilliant with your advice on my other question so please can I have some more of your thoughts:
    I URGENTLY (like this week) need to buy a new apple mac to run Finale 2006 or 2007 - but I am in a bit of a quandry: Do I buy an old-style PowerMac which will happily run GPO and NI without problems. Or do I buy a new Intel MacPro and 'make do' until GPO completely sorts itself?
    Also, if I get the new MacPro, does anyone have a suggestion about how much RAM I ought to purchase to run a 34-stave symphony orchestra playing fortissimo ?

Re: Which mac shall I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by rosflute
    Hi everyone!
    You've been absolutely brilliant with your advice on my other question so please can I have some more of your thoughts:
    I URGENTLY (like this week) need to buy a new apple mac to run Finale 2006 or 2007 - but I am in a bit of a quandry: Do I buy an old-style PowerMac which will happily run GPO and NI without problems. Or do I buy a new Intel MacPro and 'make do' until GPO completely sorts itself?
    Also, if I get the new MacPro, does anyone have a suggestion about how much RAM I ought to purchase to run a 34-stave symphony orchestra playing fortissimo ?
    Hi rosflute,

I would recommend buying one of the newer Macs with MacIntel processor. It has much better performance than the PowerPC. It's probably only a matter of a few weeks until the MacIntel versions of GPO/JABB are ready. For a full orchestra we recommend at least one gigabyte of RAM, however running Finale and OSX may require adding a little more. Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: Which mac shall I buy?

Thanks Gary - that has helped to clear my mind.
    As regards the RAM, I was wondering whether there was a significant improvement above a certain level or a point at which the amount of extra RAM ceased to be noticeable? (I was thinking of getting 4gbz)

If you can afford the 4 gigs of RAM, do it. You might not need it today, but you very well might tomorrow. And it is so much easier having it installed before you take it home.

I don't have the Intel yet on my Mac, but that is the way I'd go. Everything will be there soon. Nothing wrong in being ahead of the curve! Not that I'd know...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Unless you want to spend big bucks, I would not advise buying Apple RAM. Buy some good quality 3rd party RAM. It is way cheaper. It is really simple to install RAM into the new Macs. Everything is right out in the open where you can see it. You just place, push and click. It couldn't be easier. Even the iMacs and MacBooks are easy. Come to think of it however, if you considering a Mac Pro, the tower version, for a while Apple was the only Company that sold RAM for that model. But I'll bet other companies like Crucial etc. are selling it now.

Best of luck with your new Mac,

Karl

Talking Re: Which mac shall I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    If you can afford the 4 gigs
    What is this word "afford" ?!

Quote Originally Posted by rosflute
    What is this word "afford" ?!
    My definiton of "afford" is " to spend money you don't have"

Makes buying your computer a whole lot easier.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Lightbulb Re: Which mac shall I buy?

Ooh! THAT money! Oh yes, I've spent lots of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Hi rosflute,

I would recommend buying one of the newer Macs with MacIntel processor. It has much better performance than the PowerPC. It's probably only a matter of a few weeks until the MacIntel versions of GPO/JABB are ready. For a full orchestra we recommend at least one gigabyte of RAM, however running Finale and OSX may require adding a little more. Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan
    I strongly agree with Gary. If you can possibly swing it, go with a MacPro (as opposed to an iMac, unless you need a portable.) It gives you a lot of expansion capability and can be easily upgraded in the future. If you do buy a Mac Pro, it makes sense to order it with 4GB of RAM (take the default 1GB and buy 4 through a third party...) An extra added feature of the Intel-based Mac is that you can also run Windows Vista, either natively or through the Parallels virtual machine. Two machines for the price of one...

Keith Walls
    Last edited by KeithW; 02-06-2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Clarification

Like Karl said, if you're going to get more ram, don't order it from Apple. Apple will charge you about $1000 for 4 gigs... or you could buy it separately and install it yourself (very very easy to do) for about $650. And I'm sure you'd much rather use that extra $$$ to buy a couple more libraries to help fill up your extra RAM.
    Tim

Go Back to forum