• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which version of Vista is best for audio?

Share/Bookmark

Question Which version of Vista is best for audio?

Hey all,

I'm a bit confused by the number of options I have when upgrading to Vista. Do I want home basic, home premium, business, or the ultimate "empty your pockets" edition?

I haven't yet found a resource that clearly identifies the differences for those running a sequencer and lots of plugins. If it's really all the same as far as audio performance is concerned, I'd prefer to save the bucks.

Thanks!

-Alex

Re: Which version of Vista is best for audio?

I think this may be answered by providing some direct comparisons to XP versions. From my understanding the versions and features match up between XP and Vista basically like this -

Vista Ultimate - A hybrid of Windows XP Pro and XP Media Center edition
    Vista Enterprise - Windows XP Pro/Vista Business with extra stuff you'd never want on a DAW. Available only under volume licensing.
    Vista Business - Windows XP Pro
    Vista Home Premium - Windows XP Media Center edition
    Vista Home Basic - Windows XP Home - can't run Aero - I believe there is some limited functionality with the Search Indexer or availability of it - this version may be ideal for DAW use for a majority of users though.

Basically, you just want it to run your DAW-centric apps without unnecessary overhead/eyecandy/background services that aren't essential to what you need to do on this machine. I'm banking on Vista Business edition for use on my DAW when the time comes. I don't want the Media Center overhead (I just need a simple media player), and I do want to be able to remote into the machine over wireless to control from the recording room, so neither Home version would work here. I could be wrong, but I don't think Vista Home Premium or Basic will allow you to remote desktop into it.

Jay

Another vote for Vista Business. I plan on using the x64 version.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    I do want to be able to remote into the machine over wireless to control from the recording room, so neither Home version would work here. I could be wrong, but I don't think Vista Home Premium or Basic will allow you to remote desktop into it.
    Jay
    Wow, thanks for the info. I would need remote desktop as well, so if you're right about Home Basic/Home Premium not supporting it, I s'pose the Business version is the right choice for me.

I definitely don't want unecessary stuff on the computer, so it looks like the ultimate edition would be out as well. That'll be a wallet saver for sure!

Thanks again,

Alex

I would check the Remote thingy very carefully, as many people make mistakes on this one with XP. I have heard so many people say that you need XP Pro to do Remote Desktop and this just isn't true. It only has to be Pro for the host (controlling) PC; the slaves can be on Home. It might be the same for Vista, so it is worth checking very carefully.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    I would check the Remote thingy very carefully, as many people make mistakes on this one with XP. I have heard so many people say that you need XP Pro to do Remote Desktop and this just isn't true. It only has to be Pro for the host (controlling) PC; the slaves can be on Home. It might be the same for Vista, so it is worth checking very carefully.

D
    To be clear - your DAW must be running on XP Pro or Vista Business or Ultimate , but the laptop or whatever your using as the remote client can run XP Home or Pro, or any flavor of Vista. I think that's what you just said, but allow me to re-say it.

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    To be clear - your DAW must be running on XP Pro or Vista Business or Ultimate , but the laptop or whatever your using as the remote client can run XP Home or Pro, or any flavor of Vista. I think that's what you just said, but allow me to re-say it.
    Yes, we agree. Hurrah..........!

D

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Another vote for Vista Business. I plan on using the x64 version.

Jim
    Hey Jim - have you seen anything on date-of-release for Vista x64?
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

It only has to be Pro for the host (controlling) PC; the slaves can be on Home. It might be the same for Vista, so it is worth checking very carefully.
    You've got this backwards. Anyone (XP Home, Win9x, Mac...) can install the Terminal Services client. Only XP Pro and Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate can run the service.

What XP Home and the Vista Home editions have instead is "Remote Assistance." This allows anyone to control the machine in response to a request for help. The downside is that you need someone to be logged into the machine to send you a request -- you can't run a Home machine headless and hope to TS into it.

Hey Jim - have you seen anything on date-of-release for Vista x64?
    All Vista editions shipped simultaneously about a week ago. A quick search shows that Vista x64 is indeed for sale at Newegg etc.

Go Back to forum