• Register
  • Help

Topic: Above the Battle

Above the Battle

Earlier today I rushed to complete this piece. However, I am happy with it. I got it on here before I lose my chance to compose on my audio PC for a month (leaving tomorrow for District Band for a few days and then taking the computer over to the school for about 3-4 weeks for the musical).

Above the Battle (O-93-1-7) at music.timberwolftech.com

I originally wanted to make a cheerful piece. Yet, due to my nature, I felt that I should start off with a deep sound to help build up to a near-climatic intro. Unfortunately, I got a little carried away with bells and figured I might as well add on some drums. And the rest of the piece just ran as I worked on it. Now, the piece sounds like it is flying over a battlefield, like you would see in movies.

Also, the link may not be permanent. I'm looking into redoing that site in the next month or two, but all data and information on it will be kept for those who dare to try putting their own music on it.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Re: Above the Battle

Great color work and drive in this, CJ, and solid
    thematic/motivic elements you could literally take
    anywhere in development. Good contrast,
    some solid writing, and a lot of promise in this...
    keep it coming!

Really liked the layering/building on repetitions -very effective. Also, the rather ominous ostinato in the brass was cool. I could see how this started out as happy - there is a lot of energy that could go in a number of directions. But this works well, and is very well done. Nice realization. The panning was especially good - not something that usually catches my attention.

Fine work all around!
    Ron Pearl

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very nice work...very dramatic, energetic. Certainly left me with the impression of many serious things happening.

You might want to remove the links that no longer work such as http://timberwolftech.com/O-93-1-5.mp3

I've removed the links from the post. Yet, for those that would like to listen, click the link in Gary's post above and remove the ) at the end.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Great work, CJ, I love how the orchestration builds up... very cinematic! I enjoyed the rhythm of the percussion as well, I think it would sound great with Stormdrum, if it wasn't so darn costly as an attempt to prevent high schoolers from sounding so darn good. I love those bells as well... great work on this one! Hope you have fun at District Band!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Perhaps it's simply the reverb you used, but I love the ethereal sound of this...certainly "above" the battle. I too liked the ostinato of the low brass, but was wondering if you'd thought of separating it into octaves (maybe tuba below) or adding low strings an octave below. I know in my work octaves sometimes gives a fuller sound.

This piece really makes me wish I had the Big Band package... I really need those drums you used so well, weaving them throughout your work.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator

Hi CJ,
    This one has a lot of promise! You have the makings of a really good piece here. I especially like the part around 1:40 or so...it was very nice. It could be the speakers that I'm listening to it on, but the bells seem too loud to me, but that could just be me. The ending seemed abrupt too...are you going to expand it into another movement? Anyway, I think it's your best piece yet! Good job!
    Take Care,

Go Back to forum