Telecom Italia and Polymer Vision have announced the Cellular Book. "The innovative terminal will be presented to the Industry as a world first at the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona from February12th (booth in Hall 2, D 06)."
* Polymer Vision rollable display technology which extends up to 5-inches
* 16 grey levels
* High contrast/high reflectivity display for paper like reading even in sunlight
* 4gig memory in initial devices
* Newspapers and books can be bought and delivered through TIM’s mobile network via a regular SIM Card
* Wireless access to e-mail, news, information feeds and maps
* Mini-USB slot
* Download and play music, audiobooks and audio podcasts
* Single-handed navigation
* 10 days of average usage time between battery charges
Future improvements should include color and moving images. But it's not clear if this will be a closed or open system. Will you have to buy content over their network, or will you also be able to read your own e-books?This should have some interesting musical applications if this gets off the ground.
And the bad news? "Telecom Italia will exclusively market the innovative terminal in Italy." No pricing was given for the device, wireless data costs or content.