• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pangea (redeaux)

Share/Bookmark

Pangea w/Score!

Susuru Haffarakum
    (the Dark Revolt, the Fall, the Sundering)

Inspired by White Wolf's Werewolf: the Forsaken, this work is hopefully the first of several movements depicting that game world in which uratha (werewolves) struggle constantly to redeem their past mistakes (the most important being the slaying of their progenitor) and struugle to keep the realities of the physical and spirit worlds in balance with each other.

Some of you may have seen this piece before, but it was about a minute shorter. I kept the heart of the piece (a primal, almost savage, mood), and added a bit of "discoloration" to the end depicting the "Sundering" portion of the work I had missed earlier.

I've included the mp3 file as well as the Finale score:

https://home.comcast.net/~foster.payne/pangea.mp3
    https://home.comcast.net/~foster.pay..._printable.pdf
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Re: Pangea (redeaux)

I really enjoyed this, thumbs up. reminded me a bit of 50/60ties horror-filmscoring, some excellent harmonical contexts you've built up there and I generally liked the dramaturgic structure/tempo/flow of the tune...

It must be the Foss,

Congratulations on an inventive overture,
    I wouldn't fault the writing but I have a few questions, firstly the reverb is not realistic for the size of room neccessary to house such an orchestra, it needs to be a little bigger (are you using GPO Ambience). Your string and brass chords have a reverse sample type of sound as you ramp them in. Are you using multiple instances of the same samples on the brass instead of using different ones as the chords sound a little organ like. Please don't take this as a critisism as I do as I started this post, appreciate the inventiveness in your efforts.

Great stuff

Ray

Thanks, Giga. I hadn't considered a 50's/60's style... must be what slipped in through the subconscious while putting this thing together.

Ray, I am using Finale 2006 with the full GPO product, using the package ambience of Concert Hall 1 (dry at 1.5dB, wet at -1.5dB). The ambience settings have been one of those parts of GPO I have never gotten the hang of ( ). Still, I thought I was close. Any suggestions? As far as the rest, I plugged in for the low brass:
    Tbone Overlay AG (only used in the unison lines); Tenor Tbone Play1 KS; Bass Trombone 1 Solo; and Tuba 1 Solo. (The horns and trumpets were done the same way, using the overlay only for unison lines.)
    For the strings I simply loaded:
    Vlns 1 KS; Vlns 2 KS; Violas KS; Cellos KS; and Basses KS.
    I'm sure there is a better way for me to arrange the samples, but I haven't really figured out a better way to do this yet.
    C. Foster Payne

Thanks for the info,

I don't use Finale, I use Cubase, always have, and with that I can set the reverb as a send/return effect on 100% wet and adjust the level to each instrument and section allowing the instruments futher back to have slightly more effect than the nearest in sitting in the front row terms. It's not as simple as that but it's a start.
    Anyway you're doing fine.

Ray

Some really top-drawer writing and orchestrative color
    work in this, Foss. What a pleasure.

Bravo!

I felt the rendering overall was quite good, as was the
    "conducting and performance" of the piece.

As you probably know from reading my own posts, the
    sound treatment is a constant struggle for me, too.
    I'd agree with Ray that this could use a little more
    "room" around it (no, I can't tell you how... rofl).

On the other hand, I would far, far rather have a
    recording a bit dry than to have the detail and nuance
    of the work obscured under too much reverb.

Listened through this several times, Foss; much
    enjoyed.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Great work! I especially enjoy your use of the woodwinds, great harmonies, and your use of timpani was also very engaging. The brass was also effective, it sounded perfectly in its place. The harp and the slight percussion also provide interesting touches and really give color to the music. This one's certainly a keeper. Great orchestration!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks, guys, for the comments. Hopefully, this will be the begining of a suite (now, if I can only find out how to get permission from White Wolf to sell it with its name intact).

It's funny how when you're working on something it sounds perfect on your sound system. But then when you record it to CD and play it on a different system it sounds "stuffy." Ah well... guess I'll just have to shoot for getting it played by a real orchestra and having it professionally recorded.
    C. Foster Payne

Go Back to forum