• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fiddle Train

Share/Bookmark

Fiddle Train

This piano piece, featuring the GPO Steinway, is a fantasy on an American fiddle tune of various names, mostly know as Arkansas Traveller.

Fiddle Train

You can hear the mp3 by selecting play mp3 at the top (or bottom) of the screen.

If you have the free scorch plug in, you can view the score while listening to the GM playback, but the GM playback will not be as good as the mp3.

Richard

Re: Fiddle Train

I'm sorry but I don't get it. I don't read music so I can't look at the score and see why the left hand seems to be playing a different tune from the right hand.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    I'm sorry but I don't get it. I don't read music so I can't look at the score and see why the left hand seems to be playing a different tune from the right hand.

Ray
    Well, it appears that you have not listened to much polyphonic music, which includes most of Bach, and such as operatic quartets. If you are not accustomed to listening polyphonically, you would experience difficulty understanding what I have done. In the beginning, the right hand and left hand are the same, except that the right hand follows behind by 1/4 beat. Othe places, inversions are used, sometimes at the same time as the un-inverted part. The main difference between this and more orthodox polyphony is that I have created a polyphonic line for the treble, another for the bass. Then I treated the two polyphonic lines in fairly normal contrapuntal manner. All of it is based on or derived from the old fiddle tune, warped, twisted, and distorted as seemed good to me.

I would add that all music would not be appreciated by everyone. There certainly is a matter of personal taste. For instance, most of the recordings of Elvis Presley are displeasing to me, I liked Ricky Nelson, don't like Streisand, did not like Vladimir Horowitz, liked Arthur Rubinstein, etc.

I appreciate your time in checking out the music and expressing your thoughts.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    In the beginning, the right hand and left hand are the same, except that the right hand follows behind by 1/4 beat. Othe places, inversions are used, sometimes at the same time as the un-inverted part. The main difference between this and more orthodox polyphony is that I have created a polyphonic line for the treble, another for the bass. Then I treated the two polyphonic lines in fairly normal contrapuntal manner. All of it is based on or derived from the old fiddle tune, warped, twisted, and distorted as seemed good to me.
    Interesting piece as always, Richard -- and I liked seeing
    that rough outline of how the piece is put together.

I think it'd be a great idea for many of our listeners if you
    included some comments like this with your work. Practiced
    ears with experience, as you say -- they'll follow what you
    are doing. But for those newer listening to music of this
    kind and complexity, a few guideposts like this can be of
    great value.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum