• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Hooray for the Roland JV

Share/Bookmark

Hooray for the Roland JV

I am pretty much a software-all-the-way guy at this point. I own a lot of the high end libraries discussed on this forum. I'd say 99% of my work uses purely software instruments (plus some live recording).

I had a Roland JV1080 all through college and grad school and I finally decided to sell it last year to streamline my studio to 100% software. Regretted it almost immediately and decided to pick up a JV1010 on Ebay.

And I STILL find myself going back to it, sometimes even using a Roland instrument over a "better" instrument from a high-end library.

Anyway, three cheers for Roland and the amazing things they could do with old technology and minimal memory.

Anybody else still using one of these things?

chris.

Re: Hooray for the Roland JV

I agree. It doesnt have to be the most pristine, 24 bit sample on every occasion. I recently did a 10 minute educational video and used my XP-30 throughout. Fit like a glove right beside some of the big boys. I'll always have a little hardware in the studio.

I have a JV-1010 w/ orchestral expansion and it too has got me through most of my college career. I've since updated to samples (VSL Opus) and unfortunately haven't used it since.

Now maybe this is a mind trick, but I remember the composition process being easier using the JV-1010 than sample libs. Perhaps it was easier to write quickly as I didnt have to use articulation switches etc to go from stac to sus, or maybe because of the fullness of the patches I didnt have to orchestrate as much but it just seemed easier. I remember cranking out 2-3min cues in a day, where today I'm lucky to get 1min of full music.

I want to experiment taking all the effects off the patches and run them through my DAW's effects. I find the wash of reverb to be overwhelming at times on the raw patches. Perhaps when I have more time I'll dust off the old girl and see what happens.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I have a website full of cues that were made ONLY using the JV-1010 w/ orchestral expansion. Its a little dated (havnt updated in 2 years) but its still fun to listen to. If you do check it out, let me know what you think! http://www.avartists.com

i always use a mix of hardware as well,my xp30 and akai Z8 give me options and flavours that compliment the software VI's and Samplers quite well
    2.7 G5(PPC) 6.5 gig ram,10.48. DP5.12 ,
    FF800, NI,EW,IK VI's ,synths.. etc... Vdrums, Akai Z8 ,XP30 , Focal Twin 6 monitors
    UAD1w/Magma,TC PoCo/pci,
    Shunyata Powercords/Conditioners,Richard Gray....numerous harddrives Firmtek box(esata),& 2nd fw buss

Still have my 1080, and a few other hardware workhorses. In a way I'm afraid to get rid of them.

It really is like it was stated here: Whenever the requirements for functionality and directness raises, you go back to the Roland and it's problem solved. The hardware is still what solves that which samples can't handle. Looking back for the past few years it really is that way. You don't think about it, you just suddenly catch yourself using the Hardware instead of the samples - when you need fast response - because it's so much more direct.

I non-musician friend was over and went "ok, you spent that much money on a software orchestra (VSL), can I hear the 'strings' sound? That wasn't as easy anymore, not to say 'impossible'.

Your employer or someone might be right behind you and wants to hear an example of what you're suggesting, or he himself wants to play you an example (on the keyboard) of what he wants - using good strings sound. And he goes "quickly, quickly, before I forget it in my head". What are we going to do now? Start loading up gigastudio and then cubase, hope it doesn't crash, and then go sample safari around the harddrive and try a few patches that doesn't really work?
    Two mouse clicks and go, is what the Roland needs, and it sound more than good. Listen to the SRX strings and orchestra expansions. Best I've heard in hardware so far. I wish using samples was that easy.

But if you packed the same level of detail richness in HW synth that a sample lib offers, you would need a way to control changes between those details from the HW too, so ... it's not only HW vs Software, but rather the amount of richness in variations that makes it complicated. I own GOS - just haven't got it in the system nowadays - and GOS actually have a sample patch called "strings" for fast easy access. I loved that.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Still have my 1080, and a few other hardware workhorses. In a way I'm afraid to get rid of them.

It really is like it was stated here: Whenever the requirements for functionality and directness raises, you go back to the Roland and it's problem solved. The hardware is still what solves that which samples can't handle. Looking back for the past few years it really is that way. You don't think about it, you just suddenly catch yourself using the Hardware instead of the samples - when you need fast response - because it's so much more direct.

I non-musician friend was over and went "ok, you spent that much money on a software orchestra (VSL), can I hear the 'strings' sound? That wasn't as easy anymore, not to say 'impossible'.

Your employer or someone might be right behind you and wants to hear an example of what you're suggesting, or he himself wants to play you an example (on the keyboard) of what he wants - using good strings sound. And he goes "quickly, quickly, before I forget it in my head". What are we going to do now? Start loading up gigastudio and then cubase, hope it doesn't crash, and then go sample safari around the harddrive and try a few patches that doesn't really work?
    Two mouse clicks and go, is what the Roland needs, and it sound more than good. Listen to the SRX strings and orchestra expansions. Best I've heard in hardware so far. I wish using samples was that easy.

But if you packed the same level of detail richness in HW synth that a sample lib offers, you would need a way to control changes between those details from the HW too, so ... it's not only HW vs Software, but rather the amount of richness in variations that makes it complicated. I own GOS - just haven't got it in the system nowadays - and GOS actually have a sample patch called "strings" for fast easy access. I loved that.
    This is why God invented the concept of templates

Seriously i can demonstarte "Strings" in a minute in Logic as I have simply created combo patches in my Orchestra template that will do that.

Still the 1080 was a nice piece of kit, as the Brits say.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I have an XP-80 with 4 expansion cards and love it. I've been finding myself watching Roland Hardware on Ebay lately trying to find something cheap to fit SRX expansion cards into. So many great sounding presets in those cards. As they say "Great sound never becomes obsolete"

Darren

PS I wish Roland would do legacy collections like Korg is doing...
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Another round of applause for the JV-1080 here too! Even though I still have a fair amount of hardware synths/samplers, it is the JV that still gets used the most here.
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Just picked up a Eps 16 Plus for around $60!
    In those days a HUGE piano library was one that totally fiilled a floppy disk!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    I have an XP-80 with 4 expansion cards and love it. I've been finding myself watching Roland Hardware on Ebay lately trying to find something cheap to fit SRX expansion cards into. So many great sounding presets in those cards. As they say "Great sound never becomes obsolete"

Darren

PS I wish Roland would do legacy collections like Korg is doing...

Indeed. I would welcome a virtual D550 although Atmpsophere covers a lot of those sounds. Still I miss "OK Chorale".
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum