• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harmonic sound question

Harmonic sound question

I'm not familiar with the terminology for that particular violin sound, but in a few instances of one of Paganini's violin concerti, the violinist plays notes that sound like "muted harmonics" which give the violin an almost flute-like quality. I've always liked that unique expression and was wondering if the Garritan Stradivarius 2 can perform that sound (i.e. whether it's been sampled). I heard a harmonic patch in one of the demos, but that wasn't the one I'm referring to. Thanks.

Re: Harmonic sound question

You're probably referring to what are known as "artificial harmonics." The difference is that "natural" harmonics are performed on the open string, while artificial harmonics are performed on a stopped string. The technique involves depressing a note on the string with the first finger, while lightly touching the harmonic node a fourth above with the fourth finger. The resulting sound is two octaves above the stopped note.

GSSV currently does not include artificial harmonics. But a number of people, including me, have put in requests for this to be added, so there is hope.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Harmonic sound question

Thanks Danpowers. There's also something called "sul tasto" or "flautando" which sounds similar to what I was looking for. Either way, it's not crucial, but it would be nice to have that along with the other harmonic tricks available in a future release.

Go Back to forum