• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I move between samples in Kontakt using mod-wheel

Share/Bookmark

Question How do I move between samples in Kontakt using mod-wheel

For ages I've been looking for whirly tube (you know the corrugated plastic tubes that you spin over your head, and they produce about five harmonics, depending how fast you twirl them) samples. Then a few weeks ago, I stumbled across the tubes themselves in a £-store, and thought I'd do the job myself. So I bought about 15 of them, and cut them to produce fundamentals in quarter-tone increments, then realised I haven't a clue where to start...

I'd like to make playable KONTAKT instruments, with the 5 notes for each tube mapped on one key, moving through them by pushing the mod-wheel. Possibly between notes I would also have samples for the speed where the tube can't make its mind up, and sounds both notes at once.

I realise that, really, I need Gary's morphing technology, or the transitions aren't going to be convincing, but at the moment I don't know how to implement what I want even in a very clunky way. I know how to use controllers to trigger different samples, but once it's triggered I don't know how to use controllers to move to another during the sustain portion. I've tried using the Help in Kontakt, but got nowhere so far. Can anyone help? Is this going to be a case of getting to grips with scripting, or is there an easier way?

Re: How do I move between samples in Kontakt using mod-wheel

Pingu,

A while ago, someone put up a script that does exactly what you are talking about in K2. I believe it was Nils, but I could easily be wrong. Perhaps also, it is not applicable because you don't have K2?

Best,

Mark

Thanks Mark

I'm working with Kontakt 2, so I'll have a look around for the script.

Well, Nils has the crossfade script that may help.

Generally - if you want to mod-wheel between 5 samples - put the five samples on one key over the full velocity range. They need to be in separate groups. If you want them to alternate just by moving the modwheel (without retriggering the note) you need to assign the modwheel to the volume (amp section) and assign modwheel as modulator, open the curve editor for the assignment and adjust the curves - so you have 5 curves and only one is 127 at any given moment. (that will eat up one voice per sample) - so principally that means fading in an out samples via modwheel ....

If you want to retrigger you need to assign the group start option (group editor) to modwheel in the range from 0-20, 21-40, etc. This will only eat up one voice per sample but you need to retrigger.

Now Nils has that crossfade script - do not know the last version - he had once one with cosine/fading or so, which was quite nice but then he decided to leave that out due to the volume response of Kontakt or so.

Generally you should be able to do that with just the modulation section of the amp module and you need to assign each sample to its own group.

hope that helps

best

Thanks steff3. Having all the samples running in parallel, and fading between them is just what I meant. I'm not sure why I couldn't think how to do it. Thanks again.

Well, but the more relaxed solution would be to write a script that triggers the sample while you move the modwheel - the sample are one-shot I think, so no problem with note on and note off and you might say that the modwheel generates a note when you pass an interval of 20 values. I think it should be possible to generate note ons on MIDI CC callbacks - but I am not 100% sure - so maybe I am just talking BS here :-)

I might check that out the next days :-)

best

Don't know if that helps, but have a look here
    http://ksp.performativespace.com/ - at the very bottom :-)
    (note: the example nki uses samples from the K2 lib - see the instrument info!)

reading your post again this might not really help you, well .... do not really know what a whurly tube is :-)

best

Go Back to forum