• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt 2 - 64 or 16 parts?

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 2 - 64 or 16 parts?

I've been thinking about picking up a copy of Kontakt 2 (right now I use only libraries with built-in players).

Part of the reason I'd like to get Kontact 2 is because it has 4 ports and can therefore load up to 64 instruments.

But a friend tells me that only 16 are available unless you run it standalone with a loopback driver. Is this true, or is my friend just missing something?

I'm using SONAR. Is there a way to get all 64 parts from WITHIN SONAR without having to run K2 standalone? If so, how -- I should let my friend know, and it will certainly be crucial to me if I end up buying a copy.

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Kontakt 2 - 64 or 16 parts?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I've been thinking about picking up a copy of Kontakt 2 (right now I use only libraries with built-in players).

Part of the reason I'd like to get Kontact 2 is because it has 4 ports and can therefore load up to 64 instruments.

But a friend tells me that only 16 are available unless you run it standalone with a loopback driver. Is this true, or is my friend just missing something?

I'm using SONAR. Is there a way to get all 64 parts from WITHIN SONAR without having to run K2 standalone? If so, how -- I should let my friend know, and it will certainly be crucial to me if I end up buying a copy.

Thanks,
    chris.
    This is correct. Running K2 as a plugin only allows 16 midi channels. You can load up to 64 instruments, but they can only be assigned across 16 midi channels.

However, you can still run multiple instances of the Kontakt plugin within SONAR. So you essentially have any number of parts that you desire.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

...And you can also use instrument banks instead of regular instruments in which you can load 128 instruments(128 x 16). You switch instrument inside the bank using program change.

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    However, you can still run multiple instances of the Kontakt plugin within SONAR. So you essentially have any number of parts that you desire.

- m
    Yes, but running multiple instances means more CPU and RAM load for the wrapper itself. For a very large instrument load, it might make more sense to use it as a standalone. You can save an entire Kontakt 2 setup VERY easily ("Save Multi" and "Load Multi" functions) so it is a snap to recall the settings for a particular project you're working on. Just as a point of comparison, when I first load Kontakt 2 into my host (FL) it takes about 160mb of RAM. Further instances are approximately 70-80mb each. So, if you want access to 64 individual MIDI channels, you sacrifice 210mb of RAM or more by using it as a VST.

Now, this being said, you can still load 64 *instruments* per instance, even if you can't use 64 individual MIDI channels. This is a very useful feature. I have some multis that have 10 or so instruments all on one MIDI channel (big full orch marcatos) so a 64-instrument limit lets me put quite a bit into one instance.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Go Back to forum