• Register
  • Help

Topic: Two Computers Set up

Share/Bookmark

Two Computers Set up

I currently use one computer with two hard drives. One hard drive contains my sequencer program and GS96 while the other larger hard drive contains my gig files.

If I use two computers (i.e. one computer to run my sequencer and the other computer to run GS and hold the samples) can I use both the hard drives on the second computer for streaming the Gig audio files or would I still keep the GS program on the smaller hard drive and the Gig files exclusively on the larger hard drive?

Please let me know the pros and cons of this. If you have any other suggestions regarding a two computer set-up I\'d like to know them.

Thanks

Re: Two Computers Set up

Hi Marko,

The general advice is to always use two drives in DAWs. So yes you still use the second drive for samples. Also on your sequencer computer if you\'re recording audio that should go on a separate drive as well.

Cheers,

Steve Chandler

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I am currently working with a single computer with two hard drives (one with the programs, e.g. W2k, GS96 and Cakewalk, the other drive exclusively for gig files). What would I expect to see in terms of computer performance if I used a separate computer to run my sequencer? I don\'t understand why a MIDI sequencer would absorb so much CPU power on a computer that also runs GS, but I realize it does. Why does it do this? What should I expect if I separate my sequencer from the GS set up and have it run on a separate
    computer? Again, I don\'t understand why a sequencer program takes up so much CPU power, but evidently it does on my set up.

Marko

It’s effects and audio tracks that use up the resources.

I would think that you’d be fine with GS96 and a sequencer on the same system. I assume that that’s not the case?

Bill,

I run GS96 and Cakewalk decently enough on the same computer. I experience crashes several times a week. Usually this happens after I open the instrument editor and try to tweak a program and save it. I am accustomed to the crashes. However, when I run my sequencer (an old version of Cakewalk Home Studio) and I look at the Windows Task Manager (via control-alt-del) and the performance meter, the meter goes up to 100 per cent. Even if the sequencer is idle, cpu usage still reads very high (perhaps 95 or 100 per cent). If I close the sequencer program the cpu usage goes down to 8 per cent. I have a newer version of Cakewalk (Home Studio 2002) and I get the same measurements. So I am wondering what the benefit would be by keeping the sequencer on a separate computer.

I don\'t know if the Windows Task Manager measure is accurate.

I don\'t do any other audio processing of the tracks on the computer. I don\'t use NFX or any inserts. I output the audio from a Gina24 card into an external reverb unit.

Marko

I’d go by the results, rather than the task manager meter. I’ve never seen Home Studio. Sonar has its own CPU meter. On my system, it stays low.

Note that using the GS editor from within GS causes crashes for many people, regardless of their setup.

The way I understand it Cakewalk/Sonar when running will always show 100% on the CPU meter. It essentially takes control of it----not that its actually maxing out your CPU horsepower all the time.

Thanks for the input.

Go Back to forum