• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: THE DISCOURSE OF STARS - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Arrow THE DISCOURSE OF STARS - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

By David J. Sosnowski
    For Symphony Orchestra

To listen:

The Discourse of Stars

The Discourse of Stars was written at the same time
    as The Realization of Light and The Emergence of Time,
    posted earlier.

The full score is now also available on the site.

Best regards,

The stars, like dust, encircle me
    In the living mists of light;
    And all of space I seem to see
    In one vast burst of sight.
    - Isaac Asimov (1955)

Re: THE DISCOURSE OF STARS - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Wow!! Do you by any chance listen to a lot of Rautavaara? This reminds me a lot of his music, but with greater detail. I really love it. How much of it is GPO?

At last the finished "STARS" I listened to awhile back. It certainly was worth the wait. I want to listen a few more times before I make comments, but I am exicited to be able to hear the finished product.

I don't get it!!!!!! ONLY JOKING.

I'm sure you already know by what, I do, that this is not my usual listening material but, that doesn't hinder my admiration and appreciation of this and all your labours of love. It is inspiring, I do listen and learn from the phrasing and instrumentation you've used throughout.

Thank you David,

Kind Regards

As I sit here - snowed IN to work (I work nights at a hotel and live 20 miles south in another town) I am looking out the hotel room window and it is a blizzard. I see snow, wind, cars and people all interacting like a very disorganized, yet not, ballet.

I know your subject matter is different (if you are actually writing "programme" music, which I suspect you are not.) but it matches the mood and scene I see out my window.

The use of woodwinds is masterful. I love your imaginative selection of instrumentation and their execution. One could learn a lot from your orchestrations.

This is, upon my third listen, growing on me.

Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Bravo, David!...yet another great work!

You're certainly on quite a cosmic journey. An illusive and epic subject matter fitting for an equally epic (and illusive) rendition.

A terrific companion to your celestial collection.

Once again, interpretation is subjective, but your style and approach is absolutely evident.
    There's some truly great passages here. There's no hesitation or unsureness on your part regarding composition....I admire this the most.

Not sure why, but somehow this work struck me as more Dark/unsettling in mood then the others...around 14:00 to the end was chilling!

Yet, also not sure I agree with the final few notes though...( perhaps a final ironic twist?)

Most Excellent! (as usual)

ps: Dang! you're fast!

I'm with Ray, I don't get it either.

North Carolina

I am currently listening to The Discourse Of Stars for the third time.

As usual, you have shared something with us that is to be treasured.

The moods exposed in this work are many and wonderful.

As usual your integration of the piano as an integral part of the orchestra is extemely well done and effective.

The characters depicted by the woodwinds are at times playful and at other times elegant. I believe that this is my favorite section of the orchestra.

The string writing is elegant. Your handling of the orchestra as many sonorities occasionally coming together in a sense of controlled chaos to reveal the power of the full ensemble is exciting.

Thank you again for letting us listen to you work.

David Mauney

I've listened to this a number of tmes today, David and I have to tell you it really flows well from beginning to end. It develops and contorts and twists and convolutes. This is a really intriguing piece. You must have spent too much time as a child staring up at the starry night sky! Maybe a few aliens flitting around?

It needs more analysis on my part to comprehend the whole of the piece. Congratulations on a wonderful piece both in character and orchstration. I really marvel at your work. It is indeed a pleasure to get to listen to your music. Thank you.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

This surely portrays our inconsequential actions as humans on this little planet in the universe, it is BIG and powerful music. It seems you understand the language of the stars well enough to make their emotions known to us.... I bow in admiration of your talent. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast