• Register
  • Help

Topic: O'Reilly Digital Media Podcast about Expression features Strad/Gofriller

Share/Bookmark

O'Reilly Digital Media Podcast about Expression features Strad/Gofriller

David Battino or O'Reilly Digital Media has done an excellent podcast episode called "Express Yourself" and features the Stradivari Violin and Gofriller Cello as examples of expressive instruments.

David writes: "Expression is the soul of music. In this episode of Digital Media Insider, we listen to the techniques players use to coax emotion out of electronic instruments and software."

In his podcast, Battino covers various controllers and how they can be used to get expression from your digital instrument. A particular focus in on wind controllers. He also show examples of how swells, pitch bends and phrasing can be used to achieve expression.

Listen to the Podcast here (DMI 02-12-2007: 14 minutes 0 seconds):

MP3: http://downloads.oreilly.com/digital...s-yourself.mp3

If you use iTunes, you can subscribe through this URL: www.itunes.com/podcast?id=207870198

The link to the O'Reilly Digital Media report: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/02/12/digital-media-insider-podcast-7-express-yourself.html

In his podcast, Battino shows the expressiveness of the upcoming Gofriller Cello in this podcast (at about 6:30) which Giorgio playing his original improvisation. And there also is a demo of Fabio playing the Stradivari violin. The podcast also demonstrates the Synful Orchestra and the Karma KARMA algorithmic keyboard. He also touches on artificial intelligence in music. And regarding the theme music for the podcast, David writes: "The piano is from the Garritan Personal Orchestra, which I discovered when we interviewed Gary Garritan"

There is so much going on with expression in music and we are just seeing the tip on the iceberg.

Hope you enjoy this excellent and informative podcast.

Gary Garritan

Re: O'Reilly Digital Media Podcast about Expression features Strad/Gofriller

Very interesting podcast! Your products stole the show. It was exciting to hear how expressive digital music is getting! It's a great time to be a composer. I am so jealous of the composers that will be born in 50 years though.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I was curious as to what a podcast is, but never got around to asking, so this certainly puts that to rest. Itunes browser needs a bookmarking feature.
    Nice podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    I was curious as to what a podcast is, but never got around to asking, so this certainly puts that to rest. Itunes browser needs a bookmarking feature.
    Nice podcast!
    You take a pod and put a cast around it.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum