• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO/JABB/Kontakt, Vista 64 bits and Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Question GPO/JABB/Kontakt, Vista 64 bits and Sonar

Hello,

Wanting to take the Vista route in the future, I am beginning to have a look at it. So I installed Vista 64 bits on a second partition on my PC. I also installed Sonar 6.2 PE X64 (it does not work yet, as I have a registration problem, but I hope it will soon). Now I would like to know if someone here tried to use GPO, JABB or Kontakt 2.2 on such a system? I know Sonar X64 has the BitBridge functionality that allows a 32 bit plugin to be used in a 64 bits environment, but does it actually work?

Thanks,
    Pierre
    Pierre Laroche

Re: GPO/JABB/Kontakt, Vista 64 bits and Sonar

From what I've read it should work as long as your soundcard has Vista x64 drivers. I'm still waiting for Vista drivers for my soundcard.

I'm currently using the Windows XP x64 and Bitbridge appears to have a couple problems. The first one happens when I load in old projects that need Bitbridge and Sonar just hangs with a not responding message in Task Manager. Need to load the songs in using Sonar's safe mode and reload the plugins in.

The other issue is the Bitbridge doesn't release itself from memory when you closed down a project or Sonar. Both of these issues have been reported on the Sonar forum.

Jim

I've been having pretty good luck with Jabb, K2, and Sonar64 under WinXP64.
    Haven't tried Vista64 yet because only one of my audio boards has signed drivers available yet and I'm not convinced there's any performance advantage... and I've seen some suggestions that it may go the other way. Particularly since my audio boards are all firewire.

If you want to try it, I suggest you start with the latest patches of drivers and software. Using at least K2 v2.11 was critical for me.

Howard

Using Vista 32 bit and cannot install GPO.
    When it registers using the Registration tool, it says it is successful, but when you insert the plug, a registration error message pops up . GPO is not compatible with Vista at the moment.

I contacted NI and they are aware of the issue.

CH

Thanks for all the information.

Just to have a look at it, I installed Sonar 6.2 PE x64 on a second partition running Vista Premium 64 bits (French version) but cannot register Sonar correctly for the moment. Registration seems to work, but if I stop Sonar, the next time I start it again, it says I am not logged as an administrator account, which is wrong (my account has administrator privileges). I am in contact with the Sonar support, but they did not find how to make it work for the moment. Maybe the problem is linked to the fact I use a French version of Vista.

So for the moment, I keep on making music on XP
    Pierre Laroche

Quote Originally Posted by CHudson
    Using Vista 32 bit and cannot install GPO.
    When it registers using the Registration tool, it says it is successful, but when you insert the plug, a registration error message pops up . GPO is not compatible with Vista at the moment.

I contacted NI and they are aware of the issue.

CH
    My Bad, as per my other thread, in which David straightened me out, you simply have to run the registration tool in XP compatability mode and all works fine. Thanks David!

Pierre,

Did you try right clicking on the Sonar icon and selecting 'Run as administrator'?

Vista is much tighter in security. The normal administrator accounts do not run all programs. Many items such as the command prompt need to be right clicked on and select 'Run as administrator'. This was added so programs can't be executed without your knowledge such as spyware.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Pierre,

Did you try right clicking on the Sonar icon and selecting 'Run as administrator'?

Vista is much tighter in security. The normal administrator accounts do not run all programs. Many items such as the command prompt need to be right clicked on and select 'Run as administrator'. This was added so programs can't be executed without your knowledge such as spyware.

Jim
    Thanks for the advice Jim. I will have a try when I will be back home this evening.
    Pierre Laroche

Jim,

'Run as administrator' worked Thank you for the tip.
    Pierre Laroche

Go Back to forum