• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting Windows 98 se to see new hard drives??

Share/Bookmark

Getting Windows 98 se to see new hard drives??

I\'m installing another drive into my soundchaser system and I can\'t get windows to see it. Is there some sort of installation or formatting I need to do. I assumed this would be auto detected like a mac does. I\'ll keep messing with jumper settings, but any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Colin

Re: Getting Windows 98 se to see new hard drives??

In Windows OSs prior to Win2K you need to run F-Disk and then format the drive. Most retail drives come with a floppy with special software that automates the process. I\'m not sure how things work under 2K/XP, but I\'m sure the drive needs to be formatted. Sometimes you have to go into the BIOS (again older OSs) to get the motherboard to recognize the drive before you can even F-Disk it. You haven\'t let us know the details of the system so it\'s hard to say. I suggest you let us know exactly what is in the system (motherboard, processor, hard drive(s), memory, sound card, graphics card, OS, other peripherals. applications. etc.). Cheers,

BTW, It can\'t hurt to go to the drive manufacturer\'s web site and see if you can download their drive installation software.

Steve Chandler

The OS is Windows 98 se. I\'m using a ASUS a7v133 mobo. I have 2 60 gig ibm drives installed. I\'m trying to install a Western Digital 120gig 8mb cache.

Thanks,

Colin

That motherboard should be able to automagically see a new hard drive. But you still need to run fdisk. Make a startup floppy and reboot with it in the drive. When you get to the a: prompt type fdisk and hit return. Be very careful what you do at this point. You want to set up a primary partition on the second drive. The presence of the second drive may not be obvious when fdisk starts. It\'s been a while since I\'ve done this, but I figured it out on the first try. DO NOT repartition your primary drive. Once you\'ve run fdisk it\'ll tell you that it\'s set up the second drive as d: At that point just type format d: hit return and it\'ll do it\'s thing. When it\'s done restart the computer and you\'ll have both drives showing up.

All of this assumes that you have the jumpers on the drives configured properly as a master and a slave. Usually the information that you need to do that is printed on the drives themselves.

Did you think you could just buy a drive and hook it up? ;-) This is Windows we\'re talking about, nothing\'s easy.

Whatever you do, DO NOT format your c drive. I\'ve done that and it sucks. Back up all critical data on your primary drive just to be sure.

Good luck.

Steve

Originally posted by pantonality:

BTW, It can\'t hurt to go to the drive manufacturer\'s web site and see if you can download their drive installation software.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually, it *can*. A lot of drive manufacturer\'s software includes some kind of drive overlay software, that can make the hard drive not work properly in other computers if you decide to move it.

from http://powerjoe.tripod.com/MBR.html:

Drive overlays - programs designed to overcome BIOS limitations. These program have different names, for example: EZ-Drive (Western Digital), Disk Manager (Seagate), MaxBlast (Maxtor). They are usually supplied with retail-packaged HDDs, and are also available from HDD manufacturers\' websites.

When a drive overlay program runs during the boot sequence, it installs a small program that replaces some of the BIOS\'s drive access services with its own routines. Therefore, in order to access the drive, you must boot from the drive where the drive overlay was installed. If you boot from another drive (diskette, CDROM, another HD), chances are you won\'t see the \"overlayed\" drive\'s partitions.

To uninstall a drive overlay program, you should use it\'s uninstall feature. The more \"low-level\" way of doing this - and losing all the files on the drive - is booting from another drive, and typing \"FDISK /MBR\". At this point, the drive overlay will be overwritten, and looking in FDISK, you\'ll see \"non-DOS\" partitions instead of your formerly overlay-driven partitions. You can simply delete them, and create new, overlay-free partitions.

Since the MBR can only have 1 program, it\'s very likely that an attempt to install 2 different ones (say, installing Linux on a drive with an overlay) will not work, invalidating all drives that depend on the first program.

In other words, don\'t do it. If something happens to the Master Boot Record on the drive, you\'re screwed.

Go Back to forum