• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Could I use the piano roll to play quarter tones

Share/Bookmark

Question Could I use the piano roll to play quarter tones

Hi

I have been playing arround with piano rolls and sampling different
    sound libraries for quit a while but I still can't find the sounds I am looking
    for. I am looking for real instrument sounds and beats and I think that Northern sound finally has the answer. I have tried producing using different software but did not give me what I was really looking for.
    My question is that could I tune the piano roll t get quarter and half tones
    that is my only quesion. I have heard some compositions from members and they sound supperb. I think I have finally struck gold in terms of the applications I am looking for.
    Thank you

Re: Could I use the piano roll to play quarter tones

If you apply a pitch bend, you can get quarter tones, eighth tones, whatever!

Note that the instrument that you are playing must be programmed to respond to the pitch wheel. Not all are. That's one advantage to using sounds in Giga, K2, Halion or some other sampler vs. a dedicated player. You can usually program an open sample lib. You generally can't reprogram a lib in a dedicated custom player.

I can't tell exactly what you mean, but I am heavily involved in microtonal music, and the only real solution I have found is to tediously input endless pitch bend messages.

Samplers have custom tunings if a microtonal scale is what you want. If your microtonality changes from note to note then you'll just have to play with the pitch bend. Of course pitch bending gives you the opportunity to use slides when necessary. If you just want out-of-tuneness then you could try a slow automatic pitch plugin. If you find a good one you could always automate the plugin. Editing automation is usually less tedious than editing pitch bend data.

If quarter tones were all you were looking for, you could open two instances of the same piano, then tune one a quarter tone sharp or flat, then create a track in your sequencer for that second piano and place all the quarter tones in that track. Tedious, but it works.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thank u for ur reply your recommendation works but it's time consuming but that's ok I don't really appy quarter tones to all my notes because arabic scales are much more than that but thank u and I apreciate ur reply.

thanks for ur reply well quarter tomes is a very small range in the arabic scale but there ar different arabic scales that use full tones ur recommendation worked but it's like you said very tedious any how eastern music is goin towards full tones but some times I have to make some traditional music
    that use the chopped up notations.

regards

[yes changing the pitch bends but I have to open endless insances of the same instrument but in the software I am using the pitch bend will apply to all instances and I couldn't really get to know how to individualize each one

thanks

One more idea: if you have Sibelius, you can enter quarter-tone accidentals and (using one of the plug-ins, I believe) Sibelius will play back the correct quarter-tones. It does this by creating all those pitch-bend messages for you; these will of course appear in the exported MIDI file, and will thus show up in the piano roll of whatever sequencer you import that into. Could be a huge time saver.

If you're looking to play Arabic scales which have some quarter tones, I would imagine (depending upon your sample libraries and player) that you could tweak or re-map some of the individual notes and then re-save the sample file.

I've never tried anything like this, but I wonder whether it would be possible, for example, to open up a .gig file of a piano in GS3's editor, and either apply a definite pitch shift to individual notes or substitute specific pitch-shifted .wav files for specific notes and re-save the .gig file under a different name?

----------------------------

You know, it's very interesting to me that you bring up this question...

La Monte Young's epic Well-Tuned Piano had long had me wondering if I could "retune" my piano libraries from equal-tempered to just-intonation (the "well-tuned" in Young's title).

I've always wondered if there is a way to turn any even-tempered .gig file into the same instrument, only pitched in the microtonal manner of my choice. I'm asking around, and will post any useful responses that I get.

So... Thanks for reminding me about this, M.Y.
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Go Back to forum