• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Distant Spring Storm

Share/Bookmark

A Distant Spring Storm

This piece has been in development for around 10 years now. Originally it was concieved in a moment of reflective mood during the summer after a period of 6 months in which both my parents had passed. I first realized the piece as a pop "New Age" ballad which I included on a CD of original pieces. Not until the arrival of the "Garritan Personal Orchestra" and a couple years of learning how to use GPO did I feel I could do justice to this melody. I present it here in anticipation of the spring season which (especially for us North Coast people)should eventually arrive.

Picture a warm spring day and off in the distance is a refreshing, life giving spring storm. With that I submit:

A Distant Spring Storm
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: A Distant Spring Storm

With the weather we've been having, this is a welcome
    breath of spring, Richard.

Excellent job on the writing on this -- a lot of richly
    contrasting material... and it has the quality about it
    of narrative flow, of watching the scene unfold before
    you. The "storm" passages are particularly effective.

Nice job on this one, Richard, and I thank you for a
    welcome reprieve from winter!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I am happy to hear you enjoyed this piece. This may not be the storm from a Beethoven Symphony, but, I feel, it has a refreshing, relaxing quality to it! Thanks for listening.

Rich

RichR:

Yes, very refreshing and relaxing. I can emulate with your feelings about this 10 year old composition in bringing it to "life" with GPO. I know you had a great time producing it and all of your hard work shows. It's so nice to listen to music knowing that the composer felt so close to his music and diligently applied himself to effect a successful audio reproduction. You must have some more written during the last 10 years--and I would like to hear them....

BRAVO, RichR
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Rich,
    Nice melody, use of the orchestra and rendering.
    Much enjoyed. I won't comment on your reflections at the time of writing as I've had a similar year.
    Cheers,
    Ray

Rhap2

Thanks for the remarks on this composition. Too me, it is one of those little melodies that tends to stick in your mind and even though you go through it over and over again, it still sounds as refreshing and relaxing as the first time you listened to it.

Rayzalaf

Thanks for the comments on composition and rendering. This is the hardest part to master. I had hoped that the rendered performance would sound as realistic as possible. I know the tools (GPO that is) can do it, but for me to get the results needed extra careful attention.

As for setting the background to the piece, I was merely trying to give the mood of the original idea for the melody, i.e. a melancholy reflective mood.

Thanks again to both of you for your comments. They are appreciated.

Rich

Thumbs up Re: A Distant Spring Storm

Rich,

I really appreciated listening to this ultra Romantic piece of yours!

I think I have found a Wagner quote in the beginning of this piece, Rich!
    It could of course also be a pure coincidence!

You really have a feel for Austro-Germanic symphonic traditions, lol!
    Tell me! Which of Richard's operas is your favorite?

Fred

Well, "The Ring", of course!

Thanks for listening. This piece is one that had been in development for almost 20 years. A melody in my mind that wouldn't go away. I did a check of the melody and found part of it was a slowed down version of a Mozart Piano Sonata but I don't remember which one any more.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Well, "The Ring", of course!

Thanks for listening. This piece is one that had been in development for almost 20 years. A melody in my mind that wouldn't go away. I did a check of the melody and found part of it was a slowed down version of a Mozart Piano Sonata but I don't remember which one any more.
    Hi again, Rich!

After the beginning of your piece, after the opening of the timpani, comes a figure that to my pleasure reminded me of "The Flying Dutchman", one of the very early of Richard's operas.

The Flying Dutchman opens up with a dramatic storm motif, then the first figure is contrasted with a second figure, which is more calm to its character. This is the one I was referring to.
    So, in other words, I was happily surprised to hear your figure that reminded me of the Dutchman's. You have maybe even never heard that passage in your life.

Fred

I will have to go back and listen to The Flying Dutchman again (at least the overture) and listen for what you are talking about. It was a happy accident and (unfortunately) not planned. I was actually thinking of the Beethoven Pastorale Symphony right after the storm.

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast