• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How would you rate ...

Share/Bookmark

Question How would you rate ...

your city orchestra? As little as they are known, I would rate the Buffalo Philharmonic near a 9. Why not a ten? Well, this is Buffalo.
    So, from 1 to 10 (ten being the best) where does your city's orchestra stand?
    Why am I asking? Why ask why?.....
    Just curious.
    Styxx

Re: How would you rate ...

My city (Tyler, Texas) has the East Texas Symphony Orchestra which is a fine organization of excellent, professional musicians led by maestro Dr. Per Brevig. Dr. Brevig earned his Doctor of Music Arts degree at Julliard School of Music and is a world-renowned trombonist.

I think that our orchestra and conductor should also rate a nine on your scale.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I've only heard one performance from the Fairfax Symphony Orchestra... I think it was Tchaikovsky's 6th? I can't remember, but they were pretty darn good! Sometimes they sounded a bit synthy though... I'd say 8.14159265358979 (it's an irrational number)

I unfortunately can't make any of their performances anymore since they're always on the nights I work.

And Fairfax really isn't my city anyway, it's my college's city, but close enough. The county I truly live in has no real orchestra... unless they're so bad that they just don't want anyone to know about them.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

The Dallas Symphony Orchestra blows me away, i givem a 9.98.
    ...or at least they were under Eduardo Mata (1977–1993) & Andrew Litton (1994–2006), I haven't seen them lately and they are currently without a director last time i checked, but the players are all awesome and so they will continnue to do well, I'm sure.

I like all of them all, if i listed my favs it would be a very long list and all over the world.

edit: OK, they have one now, Jaap van Zweden.
    http://dallassymphony.com/Press_Releases.aspx?aID=15
    Man, I don't know what we do to deserve these amazing conductors, God must love this city or something.

If you field an outstanding team, everyone wants to coach it, and bask in its' glory, vis-a-vis the Mavericks. It's called the Cuban Effect. By the way, Indianapolis has the third best Orchestra in the entire world. One and Two have not been decided yet, but there are a few frontrunners.

Well, I grew up and still live in theCleveland area and I lived through the George Szell era. Even today I would still give the Cleveland Orchestra a "World Renown" 10.

I also studied and lived in the near Chicago area and would give the Chicago Symphony a 10 as well!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

My home town has The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra.

My favorite has always been the London Symphony Orchestra, and since I would rate them at 10, I would have to give St. Louis Symphony Orchestra a 9.5.

I just heard a St. Louis Symphony Orchestra concert two weeks ago, and they were truly awesome.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    My home town has The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra.

My favorite has always been the London Symphony Orchestra, and since I would rate them at 10, I would have to give St. Louis Symphony Orchestra a 9.5.

I just heard a St. Louis Symphony Orchestra concert two weeks ago, and they were truly awesome.

Dan
    I concur, Mr. Dan. Not only has the London Symphony been around a long time but its musicianship is just superb! Each member could be considered a virtuoso performer, in my opinion.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

LSO (London Symphony Orchestra):9.9
    ASO (Athens Symphonic Orchestra):6-7 (I'm pretty mean... )

Athens has various problematic issues...

PS. I'm Greek, born and raised in Athens, but live in London for the past 2.5 years... This explains the 2 different orchestras...

My little town hasn't an orchestra but I heard pianist Eric Himy the other night and he was a 10.
    Last edited by fastlane; 02-19-2007 at 12:50 AM. Reason: fun

Go Back to forum