• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Any jazz experts in the house?

Share/Bookmark

Any jazz experts in the house?

Hey everyone, I'm sticking my toe in the sea of Jazz and could do with all the help people can giv. The bass is from JABB, as is the sax. The melody is improvised and if anyone knows anything about jazz improvs any advice is much appreciated. Anyone who knows how to get the best sound out of the JABB sax is also encouraged to speak out.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5018616

Thanks!

Re: Any jazz experts in the house?

It's the Autumn Leaves, check out Tony Bennett
    the backing track is taken straight off Band-in-a-Box for windows
    Yes I am a nasty piece of work. no appologies.
    If I copy something I will say I copied it. I would never present a computer generated sequence in this forum, sorry!!!!!!

Ray
    Last edited by rayzalaf; 02-19-2007 at 04:21 AM. Reason: update on my observations

Jazz has its roots in the classical form "theme and variations". The first time through you state the melody and then on subsequent repeats, using the same chordal progressions, you "ad lib" variations on the original melody. You can't just start ad libbing from the very beginning with random notes. That's not jazz.

In your example, your "melody" bears little relationship to your accompaniment.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    You can't just start ad libbing from the very beginning with random notes. That's not jazz.
    Aw c'mon, Larry -- where's your spirit of adventure... lol?

Thoroughly enjoyed this, personally. I'm not a Jazz expert
    like Larry, but if my ear says "good stuff" -- I go with it.

And hence, I went.

Nice job!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks people.

Alexander: It's not random, and it isn't entirely unrelated to the backing progression. But your point about using themes and vary on them is well-noted. Thanks!

HI Ray,
    I don't like this kind of tenor sound. I would use any of the other options.
    For my taste, I would say there are too many little spurts of sound-a lot of staccato. Some jazz artist like to do this, but they usually are playing wide octave leaps up to the altisimo resgister. To me it sounds like a wounded animal in high pain.(great leaps, etc.)
    A sax improvised melody needs a base to work from as indicated earlier. Something to hang your hat on, before you jam.
    Mainly I think I hear sharps or naturals in the piano while the tenor
    is playing naturals or flats, respectively.
    It's like D major 7 in piano and a Dminor 7 in the tenor.
    Use more linear lines; sustain good sounding notes(Eb, Bb, etcJ)
    Take a breath occasionally.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Sleutelbos
    Hey everyone, I'm sticking my toe in the sea of Jazz and could do with all the help people can giv. The bass is from JABB, as is the sax. The melody is improvised and if anyone knows anything about jazz improvs any advice is much appreciated. Anyone who knows how to get the best sound out of the JABB sax is also encouraged to speak out.

Thanks!
    Hi,

I like the piano, bass and drums. The feel there is good. Did you create those changes? If so, you have more jazz experinece than you let on!

I would start by finding some jazz sax players you like, and listen to them. Then, create your own melody to these changes as if you were one of those players. Next, you can elaborate on that melody to create your solo. It's a fun journey - good luck!

Regards,

Jim
    RealSax.com "When you need real sax in your tracks."
    http://www.realsax.com

hey, hold on a minute:

Ray: This is about the improv. Maybe I'm the only unlucky guy here but I don't happen to have a jazz trio locked in the closet so I have to rely on backing tracks. Being a guitarists formost I'm used to practice over backing tracks, and I'm used to posting that online. If that is not a tradition here and I gave the impression I was taking credits for the backing then my apologies. I understand a real live band with a real sax in a real gig would be ideal but that's not an option right now, gotta start somewhere.

The reason I went with BiaB instead of a 'normal' backing is because this way I don't get into copyright issues with noone and I get to pick the samples, so I could include the JABB bass as well. For the record, I had no idea this was an existing song, I assumed it was a generic jazz progression, as it's called 'Jazz2'. I will check out the original.

Gary: Ray didn't do the song, he just wanted to point out that the backing isn't mine. Anyway, thanks for the comments. I'm *very* new to jazz so I'll be making the stupidest mistakes for a while. I'll work with your suggestions, much appreciated.

jim: Thanks. No, the backing isn't mine. I rendered it from MIDI, apparantly the original composition is by Tony Bennett. I know I'll probably get shot by this, but can anyone actually name some sax players? I know a few jazz guitarists but I'm totally oblivious as to who is somebody with the other instruments. Recommended listens or albums much appreciated, I think I have heared less then ten sax solos in my life.

I'm a guitarist and as such have used other peoples midifiles and BiaB from time to time for my own needs as a performer. my point was and still is, if I post music here in this forum, it is either my arrangement of someone elses work or my composition in which I may use sample loops for drums. I honestly would rather be posting encouraging remarks rather than being nasty.

Ray

If you are interested in "development", listen to how I do it in these original jazz compositions. Notice the initial melody statement, variations on the theme and eventual restatement of the melody at the end:

"Peachy" (small group)

"Pinky" (big band)

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast