• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: assignment #1

Share/Bookmark

assignment #1

Hello, I attempted the first assignment and I want to know what you all think.

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/n3wm...heorytest1.mp3

Re: assignment #1

n3wman918

Thanks for being the first one and breaking the ice. You did an excellent job of recreating the piano with the strings.

If others have examples please feel free to post them.

Gary Garritan

David M sent in his assignment #1

He has also offered to provide the Finale file if that will help others.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ssignment1.mp3

Thanks David

Gary Garritan

Gary:

Thanks for hosting my mp3 file of the first assignment. I look forward to participating in the course.

David Mauney

My critic of n3wman918's 1st assignment....I'm doing this because I believe this is how this site is suppose to work. If I'm out of line please tell me.

Personally, I love the way its sounds. Exellent harmony choices. It really is a great interpretation. Perhaps though, the composer's original concept might be lost a little , as I don't hear the moving lines that start in the bass. Perhaps pizz strings, or harp or combination of the two could be added. That moving line could start with the celli and finish with the violas. Other than that, I really like it. To me it is way better than the original piano/oboe score.

I'm not sure how you post assiginments? Just attach an MP3 by clicking on the red botton (files upload)?

Thanks Everyone

n3wman918

I agree with what you're saying, without the moving chords in the base it lost the original idea of what the composer was getting at(I think). I may have changed the mood too much

are we supposed to replace the piano with just strings?

Thanks
    Dan

I've listened to 3 versions of the assiginment. Everyone seems to be able to orchestrate nice string pads. David M. had a high note in the 2 or 3rd measure that sounded like a mistake. Maybe would have worked if the note faded in and out better, but probably does not work because it interferes with the Oboe's range. Perhaps an approach without "pads", but with moving string lines would be the more difficult, but better outcome. Although all 3 versions sound pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by nova.music
    I've listened to 3 versions of the assiginment. Everyone seems to be able to orchestrate nice string pads. David M. had a high note in the 2 or 3rd measure that sounded like a mistake. Maybe would have worked if the note faded in and out better, but probably does not work because it interferes with the Oboe's range. Perhaps an approach without "pads", but with moving string lines would be the more difficult, but better outcome. Although all 3 versions sound pretty darn good.
    you're right, however in my score there are some moving strings (simulating the arpeggios with pedal), but they go only from the cello to the viola, maybe there's no way to go higher, so the violins have to do an harmony (in this case with the bass) ... any suggestions?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast