• Register
  • Help

Topic: Installing Kontakt 2/use of external drive

Share/Bookmark

Installing Kontakt 2/use of external drive

Hi,

I just got Kontakt 2 to my hand. Before starting the installation, I´d like to
    hear your recommendation concering the location of different part of the Kontakt 2 to optimize the disc space/the speed of Kontakt when using it with the sequencer:

I prefer putting the romplers to my external hard disc especially those including the big librarier,
    in some cases I have installed the program engine to my C:-station and
    all the librariers incluced to the rompler to my external drive, this has
    worked very well e.g. in the case of programs such as the BFD or RMX.

The Kontakt 2 manual has no reference/recommendations concerning this.

My questions:

1. Does the Kontakt 2 installer let me locate the engine-part and the library-part (+ e.g. the the Experience library) to different locations?

2. Does it matter very much if the Kontakt engine is in one hard drive and the libraries are located to an other (in terms of speed etc.)?

3. Does the Kontakt 2 work well if engine and libraries are installed to different
    hard drives/locations as described above?

4. Those who have bought the Kontakt 2 crosscrade: is there anything special I should take in to account when installing/doing the authorization? (I have previously used Kompakt and Intakt by the EWQL).

Thanks in beforehand,

Harry

Re: Installing Kontakt 2/use of external drive

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_O
    1. Does the Kontakt 2 installer let me locate the engine-part and the library-part (+ e.g. the the Experience library) to different locations?
    I don't remember, but you can set a separate library path in K2 after the installation.

2. Does it matter very much if the Kontakt engine is in one hard drive and the libraries are located to an other (in terms of speed etc.)?
    Yes, you get better performance with DirectFromDisk streaming, when app. and lib. are on separate drives. The optimal situation is three (or more) drives, one for the app., one (or more) for samples and one for audio.

3. Does the Kontakt 2 work well if engine and libraries are installed to different
    hard drives/locations as described above?
    Yes.

4. Those who have bought the Kontakt 2 crosscrade: is there anything special I should take in to account when installing/doing the authorization? (I have previously used Kompakt and Intakt by the EWQL).
    Nothing I know of.

Nickie, Thanks for your quick comments;-) Regarding my Q.1: I try to avoid
    the situation where I have to move huge block of files (such as libraries)
    in and from to my C: hard drive, because of the disc fragmentation, that´s
    why I prefer installing all the different parts of the Kontakt 2 to their
    final destinations right away - and that´s why I asked. It´s strange that the manual doesn´t spesify this possibility. If anyone knows this, please let me know before I start the installation (I have asked the NI support but
    they are slow ...). Harry

Kontakt 2 Library Documentation, Library Installation:

To install the Kontakt 2 library, you need at least 16 GB (Gigabytes) of free harddrive space. We recommend using a fast harddrive (7200 RPM, or higher, 8 MB cache or more), in order to achieve optimum performance.
    In order to make use of all instruments, banks, and multis of the library, please make sure that you install the complete 15 GB library in a folder called “Kontakt 2 Library“. The location of this folder can be different than the location of your Kontakt 2 software folder.
    There is no installer that automatically installs the library into this folder, so you need to copy the contents of the two library DVDs (Kontakt 2 library Disc 1 and Kontakt 2 library Disc 2) manually by dragging the “Kontakt 2 Library“ folder from the first DVD to the location of your choice. After the first part has been successfully copied, please drag the content of the second DVD which you find WITHIN the folder “Kontakt 2 Library“ into the Kontakt 2 library folder on your harddrive.

Nickie, mucho gracias, I´ll go by that. Harry

Go Back to forum