• Register
  • Help

Topic: RECORDING SOUND FOR FILM Acceptable noise floor

RECORDING SOUND FOR FILM Acceptable noise floor

sponsored links

Hi, I'm recording the soundtrack dialogue and foley for a short film.

Generally I compose for film and theatre, and record music.... (no background noise in my music!)

The film is recorded in a rehearsal space which is reasonably quiet.

However, I'm getting background noise at about -60dB. It sees to a be an air conditioning unit/ fridge.. although they are all switched off in the shooting space (probably from another floor in the building..?!)

Anyway, Is this an acceptable noise level for a live 'room' recording?

I sampled some 'Hollywood' films from DVD's and most of them have a background noise level of about -45dB. So I'm guessing that my -60 is OKAY?

PLEASE HELP; experienced people!

Chiseen, Hong Kong (A very noisy city)

Re: RECORDING SOUND FOR FILM Acceptable noise floor

Might be worth attempting to locate the frequency and notch eq it out..

Certainly it might be very obvious on a big cinema system even at -60dB, well worth trying to get rid of it if possible.

Good luck!

(love HK, btw!!)

Re: RECORDING SOUND FOR FILM Acceptable noise floor

Try downloading GoldWave. It includes noise reduction software. You can use it for free to try it out - and it's only $50 to purchase. The user interface is not attractive, but the processing is quite good.

Open your file. Highlight the part of the file with noise only. Copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C).

Now highlight the part of the audio that you want to process to reduce the noise.

From the menu select Effect -> Filter - Noise Reduce

Now select "from clipboard". Usually I set the noise reduction to 75%. Then process the file.

Hopefully, you will be amazed at the result.

Best of luck.

Go Back to forum