• Register
  • Help

Topic: 30's & 40' Style arrangements for project

Share/Bookmark

30's & 40' Style arrangements for project

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted, but I read the threads at least once a week. I've been busy performing with the Orlando Opera in Pirates and just now have a few weeks to work on GPO again.

I hope this is not the wrong place for this thread! If so, sorry.

I'm interested in doing a project for Christmas, not this year but next, where I might want to use other peoples arrangements. I'm wanting to put a CD together that reflects the 1930's and 1940's.

I'm not sure really where to begin. I know I would need to pay for the arrangements of the songs but I may want the arranger to give me the parts in wav format so I can add the the vocals and do the final mix. I use Sonar.

This project will not be for a major release , of course, but I still want it to be as close to authentic as possible. I've heard quite a few nice arrangements here on the forum and thought maybe this is how I should start developing this idea.

I know that in the perfect world, I could hire an arranger, hire a studio, hire session players and singers and get the job done. But, that's way out of my league financially and is likely to be so for some time.

I thought that if the person who arranges used GPO, JABB and other libraries, it would make the job easier and also a lot less expensive, especially with strings! This would give me a chance to just sing and do the final mix as opposed to trying to do it all! I'm learning GPO, but I know the learning curve is very long and I want the project to sound like several people were involved in it, not just one.

I'm open to any suggestions as to how to begin putting this together.
    Earl Green

Re: 30's & 40' Style arrangements for project

no comments?
    Earl Green

Quote Originally Posted by earlwgreen
    no comments?
    Very cool project. I'd love to do it, but I have neither the time or skill! Would love to hear it though.

This past Christmas, I fell in love with "Have yourself a merry little christmas," which I think reflects that time period you are considering. I just was blown over by thge arrangment...not that it was all that fancy...but so different to my ears (which are soaked...much too soaked in modern pop).

Good luck to you!

-Fox

Thanks Fox.

That's one of my favorite Christmas songs also.

The hard part is finding someone here in Orlando that knows how to arrange/orchestrate this style. There are no great studios here, that I'm aware of and most everything is rock. Not even good pop. So that's why I'm reaching out to this group of people. There are quite a few here who have made some nice arrangements and I just thought it might be a good starting point.

I'm really looking for an arranger I guess, someone who knows this period of music. I would be able to take an arrangement from paper and put in GOP and JABB if I had too.

Thanks again.
    Earl Green

That sounds like an awful lot of fun.I´ve been an eager student of all kinds of arranging styles for as long as I can remember, and being a practicing musician/arranger/composer in mainly jazz and classical(but also more "commercial" stuff) I think I know the style fairly well by now.You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I have several things going at the same time and hope to get started on song selection and everything else in the next month or so. It would be nice to have several arrangers so the project sounds varied.

First I'll be getting a website up in the next few weeks so I can upload some songs I'm interested in and also so people can hear my voice. I think that will help move this forward.

I will most likely want to see if one Christmas song can be ready for the next Garritan Christmas CD.

Keep the info coming.

I'll keep everyone posted.
    Earl Green

Quote Originally Posted by earlwgreen
    Thanks Fox.

That's one of my favorite Christmas songs also.

The hard part is finding someone here in Orlando that knows how to arrange/orchestrate this style. There are no great studios here, that I'm aware of and most everything is rock. Not even good pop. So that's why I'm reaching out to this group of people. There are quite a few here who have made some nice arrangements and I just thought it might be a good starting point.

I'm really looking for an arranger I guess, someone who knows this period of music. I would be able to take an arrangement from paper and put in GOP and JABB if I had too.

Thanks again.
    If you're in Orlando, call the Disney Music Dept. They have herds of guys writing for the parks and they should sure know the style.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Great idea. I'll give them a call.
    Earl Green

Thanks Ern.

I'll try to get some cds of him. I have a few, like White Christmas, but my ear is not quite good enough yet to extract the parts. I know in time I'll get better, but it does help to have some tips.

If I take an arrangement from a CD and redo it on my own, are there fees or royalties due? For instance, the place where I get my backtracks leases them to me for use. All I do is get the rights to record the song from the publisher and pay for the use of that song per copy. Correct?

Thanks for the tips!
    Earl Green

Go Back to forum