• Register
  • Help

Topic: Oh MIDI, why do you mock me!

Oh MIDI, why do you mock me!

Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum, and just from reading a few posts, I can see that this is a resource of vast knowledge... So maybe ya'll can help me. I play keyboards in a Philadelphia cover band 5 nights a week, and decided to have my rig be all Rack. I had a Triton Extreme, which was stolen out of my car 10 days after I bought it! grrr! So I decided to buy a Triton Rack, and a Roland Fantom Rack. I have a Kurzweil PC88 controling them. So my setup is Kurzweil(MIDI OUT) --------->Triton(MIDI IN), Triton(Midi OUT)--------> to Fantom (MIDI IN). My question is... Is it possible for me to not even have to touch the racks during a performace? Example: Say I was going to play "Don't Stop Believin'" By Journey, is there a way to just dial in...say... preset 089 in my Kurzweil, and have it change the triton to the correct patch, but also have the triton send a program change to the fantom? It just seems very odd to me that they would market these rack instruments and not give the user the power to do this... Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you all so much!

Re: Oh MIDI, why do you mock me!

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forums! Bummer about the Triton.

The PC88 is supposed to be a pretty good controller keyboard from everything I've read. I sure hope you have the manual. If you don't, you need one. The manual will make it MUCH easier to get into using the board as a controller.

You are probably, I say probably, going to be able to hit a patch change on the PC88 and change both modules. The modules both accept patch changes. It all depends on how you set it up with your controller.

Aside from having the manuals for these units and reading them for what you want to do, you need to hook up things properly.

Send the PC88's OUT to the first box's IN, then send the first box's THRU to the second boxe's IN. That way info from the PC88 will be sent to both boxes.

Hope this helps.

Go Back to forum