• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: TI's A Dramatic and New Sampling Technology

Share/Bookmark

TI's A Dramatic and New Sampling Technology

I am kind of surprised that there hasn't been any discussion about the timbral impulse features contained in Dan Dean Solo Strings Advanced. I initially created this technology for my Pure Space Series that was reviewed in Sound on Sound http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr0...es/impulse.htm This technology has been used on many classical recordings - a small sampling with audio examples can be found at http://numericalsound.com/ri_classical.html

I have now applied this powerful technology to the Dan Dean Solo Strings Advanced. I have captured the resonance of the Stradivarius Cello and the Stradivarius Violin as well as many other state of the art solo and ensemble recordings by some of the world's best known musicians.

Once you hear this technology in action, you'll realize that without it your existing sample libraries hit a "glass ceiling". It is so sonically compelling that all my future sound libraries will have timbral impulse technologies built into them. It does not matter how many samples, layers or size of the library you have one cannot get closer to acoustic reality without applying this type of technology to the tone of the instrument.

Its a dramatic new development and anyone serious about their sampling should be aware of it. The Kontakt2 scripting engine makes this feature possible and user friendly - a single click will activate this feature. You can literally go through 20 string timbres (solo or ensemble) in 20 seconds. FYI, there are over 20 of these custom TI's for the Violin, Viola and Cello.

TI technology now offers the musician a dramatic increase in sonic potential and all the Northern Sounds Community should be aware of it !

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound
    Pro Audio Vault
    www.proaudiovault.com

Re: TI's A Dramatic and New Sampling Technology

Is this different than the body impulse resonance on Garritan solo strings?

Maybe Gary can clarify exactly what the body resonance feature is on this product. FYI I consulted with Gary on the original GOS project and a couple of Numerical Sound's Reverb Impulses were included in it.

One thing to note is that applying convolution to discrete samples when building a instrument will not sound anywhere as good as a real time convolution engine. This is especially noticeable on instruments with variable pitch such as strings.

Tascam Giga GVI engine has convolution but without scripting and modular routing this feature cannot be implemented in an elegant manner (if at all) as it can in Kontakt 2.

The TI's include the mic perspective but without the ambient component. For example a couple of the cello impulses (2 and 3) on the Dan Dean Solo Strings Advanced were based on great solo cello recordings. The first recording mic placement is further back relative to the second. The TI reflects this information - and we hear it a less deep bass in 2 than in 3. This obviously happen when one positions a mic farther back from the instrument. In the end it comes down to taste. Including them both give the user more flexibility and they can decide which one to use.

Ernest Cholakis
    ]www.proaudiovault.com

Ernest,

This is very interesting: Are you referring to the act of crossfading to timbrally diverse impulses so as to allow a simulated morph between, say, sul tasto and sul ponticello?

Tell me More!!!!!!

Belbin

The Ti is the processing after the various articulations and crossfades. Think of it as the primary sound modifying component that takes over the sound from the the violin bridge point. From this point on it exerts its "character" on the overall violin sound. The TI's would acting as the combined sonic character of the bridge, top & bottom violin body and the microphone position relative to the violin.

You might find this of interest. Sandor Vegh and Itzhak Pearlma both have Stradivarius Violins but they are different sounding due to the violins the playing and the mic'ing techniques. You can see a very accurate spectrum of both at http://www.numericalsound.com/violin_comp.html

These 2 performances were examples in a Sound on Sound article called Hit Factors now available at http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/may02/a...s/cholakis.asp

Ernest

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest
    The Ti is the processing after the various articulations and crossfades. Think of it as the primary sound modifying component that takes over the sound from the the violin bridge point. From this point on it exerts its "character" on the overall violin sound. The TI's would acting as the combined sonic character of the bridge, top & bottom violin body and the microphone position relative to the violin.
    That, to me, jsut sounds like an IR. Your earlier post made it sound like some kind of dynamic convolution...so I'm still confused. I will read throught the links you sent shortly, and pound you with a barrage of futily stupid questions!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Belbin

Yes TI impulses are related to RI they both use convolution to change the sound of source material. TI's do not however have a reverb component.

Think of them as EQ on steroids because they can be over a 1000 times more powerful and complex than other conventional analog frequency modifiers used in recording chain.

The complexity of the TI is based on the length of the impulse (proprietory information). It is very hard to quantify the power as compared to mixing boards 3 band EQ but her goes - TI used in the Dan Dean Solo Strings Advanced are over 10,000x more powerful ...

The first sample CD to use TI technology was Drone Archeology (1998). Hardware manufactures have also used TI's in there products. Guitar modeling units such a Line 6 Pod's have it embedded in there signal processing chain. The impulses size (and complexity) in hardware units are typically much shorter the the ones I used for Dan Dean Solo Strings Advance

Ernest

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest
    Maybe Gary can clarify exactly what the body resonance feature is on this product. FYI I consulted with Gary on the original GOS project and a couple of Numerical Sound's Reverb Impulses were included in it.
    Yes, Ernest engineered some excellent hall/room impulses for our GOS library four years ago and many people still rave about them.

To briefly comment about our instrument body impulses. Our Stradivari Solo Violin integrates instrument body impulse responses that were derived from the same Stradivari used to record the library. This was done using a special process Giorgio developed (combined with other technologies) and is an integral part of the instrument. This has been our approach since the Stradivari Solo Violin was first released as a Kontakt 2 library in November 2005.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment. Nevertheless, the focus of this thread is Dan Dean's library and Ernest's work, so I will leave this thread to go back on track.

Gary Garritan

Ernest or Gary:

Have experimented with applying this technology to piano samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Ernest or Gary:

Have experimented with applying this technology to piano samples?
    Ernest has a link to some of his/Dan Dean's work in an above post: www.proaudiovault.com

Interesting stuff!

Belbin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast