• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Corporate Logo Music

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: Corporate Logo Music

It's the first time this particular sort of gig has come up, so I was wondering:
    What kind of buyout rate is standard (if there is a standard) for a 10 second corporate logo spot? (Resembles the sort of thing you might see before a movie...)

Thanks!

Re: OT: Corporate Logo Music

There is no standard.

It depends on who wants it, where it will be aired, who you are and how much perceived value you can put on your music over the other people out there.

10 second buyout could range from a few hundred dollars to several thousands.

Give us some more info and maybe we can help more?
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    It's the first time this particular sort of gig has come up, so I was wondering:
    What kind of buyout rate is standard (if there is a standard) for a 10 second corporate logo spot? (Resembles the sort of thing you might see before a movie...)

Thanks!
    You can perhaps get more info if you look for "audio-branding". I have made some different "audiologos" for some companies and it is very differently what you have to spend on time and work for an only 10 secound track... .

Best Regards
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Think of it this way:

The guy who made the logo for intel, or microsoft (who are still using the same thing for ever and ever and ever), must really hate himself for not getting enough money!

You are making 10 sec track, but this track will be used for every site/game/movei/short/audiobook/CD/whatever.

just osme extra thought...

It really comes down to what company you're talking about. Also maybe it could be a good idea to talk to graphic designers who deal with this kind of thing much mroe often... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Think of it this way:

The guy who made the logo for intel, or microsoft (who are still using the same thing for ever and ever and ever), must really hate himself for not getting enough money!
    Trust me, the guy, or more accurately the marketing firm(s) that created these logos are paid quite well. Companies will spend hundreds of thousands, or even millions of dollars on branding, which involves much more than just a logo.

There is no comparison between brand indentity and a 10 sec. music spot in terms of value or importance.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    I'm guessing that Brian Eno was paid rather handsomely for his 3.25 seconds of Microsoft stardom:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...02/PK70006.DTL

Obviously, you can charge more for your work depanding upon whether you are Brian Eno...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Chances are, they already have a budget in mind for it, specially if its a small company. As someone said, more info is needed. Is this for a particulair company? What size company, or is this for a library. If its for something like a library, where any body can use it, the budget won't be as high as if a unique company is asking you to brand them with a musical signature. Best of luck with your project!
    www.energiestudios.com

This might be composer urban ledgend but someone told me that the composer who created the Intel nuemonic, which you hear on TV daily, accepted an $800 buyout. That's not bad money for 4 notes, but if he had licensed the composition, it potentially could have been worth a small fortune. The composer probably never imagined how extensively his work would be used, but when you sign away your rights, your revenue is capped with your initial compensation.

Try limiting the term to 1 or 2 years. Try limiting the useage to a specific DVD or package or product. Try licensing the piece annually.

You might be able to ask for a mechanical royalities (which is satuatory law in the US). If they make 100,000 copies per project and they use your work on 10 different DVD projects that's a million copies. Remember that when you price your work. It's difficult to get a mechanical on a DVD, but you can use that to help them see the value they are getting.

If they use a music library piece they will have to pay for every singe new use, so you could be saving them a significant amount of money.

Hope it works out well for you.
    Bryan E. Miller
    Sensory Overload Music
    www.sensory-overload.com

Try limiting the term to 6 or 12 month!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Overload
    This might be composer urban ledgend but someone told me that the composer who created the Intel nuemonic, which you hear on TV daily, accepted an $800 buyout.
    The person who wrote the Intel mnemonic has done quite well for himself:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_la_grapevine_66/

FYI, the performance royalties on all those TV spots tagged with those 4 notes would be decent enough (the ASCAP composer share of those network TV spots alone is worth around $25-$35 per play, depending on day part, and each spot probaby airs several dozen times per cycle), and since a good share of those TV spots are probably under AFM contracts, there's additional money to be made every 13 weeks the spots air.

Whether it's urban legend or not, I personally would have done it gratis and thrown in a backrub just to have my name on the back end.
    a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

Go Back to forum