• Register
  • Help

I just bought the VSL and it\'s great. The only problem is My SoundChaser PC\'s. I added firewire cards to them and put the VSL library on those drives.(Lacie 120GB D2, 7200RPM) I\'ve only tested the older PC with an AMD Anthon processor and 760 MB of RAM. The sounds load OK but the samples seem to quickly get corrupted and I have to reboot. It\'s not stable enough to use in pro applications unless I bounced to disk everytime I did a track. Is it the firewire drive? My other SoundChaser PC with Windows XP home Edition seems to work better with the firewire drive but I haven\'t put it through major testing. (AMD Anthon XP1800+, 992MB RAM) I think I need to update this PC and possibly the other one. What are the recommendations from you guys. I really appreciate some advice on this since SoundChaser went belly up and left me with two halfassed PC\'s.
    Would it be a good idea to buy new motherboads and if so, what are the best for Giga applications? I\'d also like to get two more PC\'s. What would be the ultimate PC configuration to RUN the Vienna Symphonic Library? MOBO DRIVES OS ETC?
    John Angier

Re: PC FOR VSL

try doing a error check on the drive. You may have some bad sectors or something.

VSL instruments are HUUUUGE and giga files act strangly if they aren\'t transferred correctly

john, you didn\'t mention the OS of the first PC - if it\'s W98 you possibly need the firewire-patch to be applied (corrects problems with file-access)
    the page behind the provided link is somehow corrupt - you find the download at
    hth, christian

Thanks King and Michael. On the question of checking errors on my drive, how might I go about this? I\'m a Mac guy and I can\'t seem to find the application on my PC that\'ll do this drive check. I bought a DVD external drive to transfer the sounds to my Firewire drive. It seemed to go well. Another thing is should I update the motherboard on my Windows 98 PC.
    Michael, thanks for the update link. I\'ll try that today.
    Also, if you guys could give me some advice on what the optinum PC configuration would be to run the VSL I\'d really appreciate it.
    Thanks again,
    John Angier

Originally posted by jangier:
    On the question of checking errors on my drive, how might I go about this?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">John,
    Run the Windows ScanDisk utility. It came with your OS.

1. Click on Start, then Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools, then ScanDisk.

2. The ScanDisk application will be launched and you will see a window where you can select the particular drive-to-test, the thoroughness of the test and whether it should automatically fix discovered errors. Normally, you would choose the Standard test.

In your case, select \"Thorough\" and \"Automatically fix errors\" These tests are non-invasive and will insure the integrity of your data (copy data from bad blocks to good ones) - if possible. If bad sectors are discovered, they will be noted so the OS never uses those blocks again.

Depending on your drive size, this may take some time. You should run ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter often.

Hope this helps,

Thanks CSDuke. I\'ll give it a try.
    John Angier

Go Back to forum