• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for a desk to hold 88-note keyboard

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a desk to hold 88-note keyboard

Dear group,

I've been looking for a desk built to hold an 88-note keyboard, and haven't found any that fit right for me.

Omnirax desks are amazing, but waay out of my price range. The Producer's Desk by RTA looks a bit junky....

Please let me know what your solution is! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex Davis

Re: Looking for a desk to hold 88-note keyboard

You could build this one.
    It's designed to hold a Yahama S90.

http://www.sightsea.com/extras/studio_desk/

The only thing that's not in the design is the need for a piece of angle iron
    to run the length of the bottom of the keyboards tray and also the bottom of the desktop.

I'm sitting here looking around my office/studio and I've about decided I need to build one. If you have the tools to do it, you can build one for not much more than you can buy one -- and it can be customized to your space.

Wow Steve, that desk looks really cool. I'm sure it would be a great project for me, but I have to be honest with myself here: I'm not a very handy guy. It would take way too long for me to build a desk from scratch-- although I downloaded those pdfs, and am toying with the idea.

How much did it cost to make the desk?

I'm also looking at THIS amazing desk. What do you think of it? (it's also out of my price range, but.... I might just spring for it.) Man do I want it.....

Would love to hear what desks other composers are working from!!

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis

I'm also looking at THIS amazing desk.
    -Alex
    Now that looks amazing! ... although I'd be wanting to know if the angle of the keyboard could be adjusted.

I never built the design I did. Not enought time and space.

The melamine was about $24.00 a sheet last I checked and the rollers were about $50.00 or less.
    The only real hard part with building it would be the saw cuts.
    That's why I suggested getting a pro to do it.

Everything after the cuts is just drill holes and insert screws.

Oops, Double post
    P4 3.0, 2 gig ram, nvidia 6800gt, 3 SATA drives, EMU-1820M, UAD-1, Studiologic SL-110, Mackie Universal Controller, Behringer Truth B2031A, Cubase SX3, Kontakt2, EWQL Gold, EWQL Choirs, EWQL Collosus, NI Akoustik Piano, NI Elektrik Piano, NI B4 II, EZ Drummer, Lyrical Distortion 1+2, Scarbee Bass, Real Guitar2, Atmospheres, Absynth1, GPO

Unless you have money to burn DO NOT BUY CUSTOM MADE DAW TABLES/STANDS/RACKS!!!!

I just checked some of the photos in the prior link. $299 for a snack table on wheels called the Producer's Desk? Are you freakin' nuts!! $3,000 for a bigger table with racks?

This is what I did and I wish I had a photo I can upload for you of my home studio:

Take a weekend and visit every Staples, Office Max and similar stores in your area and look for a classy 4 legged desk/table. I found a nice 4 legged black wooden table with top surface area of approx 2 1/2' feet x 4 feet ($79). I removed/unscrewed the pc keyboard tray which was attached to the underside of the table top (you don't need this here, you will place your Mac/PC keyboard in a more ideal spot). Then I removed then cut all four legs so that the distance from the floor to the top of my white piano keys was approx 27 1/2". I screwed the four legs back to the table top. My 88 key, fully weighted midi keyboard is now at a perfect height! And I still have some leg room because I removed the above mentioned keyboard tray.

Next I found a separate piece in Staples belonging to some other table set. It was a black wood raised shelf with top surface area of approx 8 inches x 4 feet, with two small draws (6" each) on the left and right and free space in between ($40). I place this on my table behind my midi keyboard. I removed the drawer knobs so this piece was flush with the back of my midi keyboard controller. I also cut out a piece near the middle of the board and rigged up a spot for my computer keyboard so that the bottom of my PC keyboard was flush against the back of my midi keyboard controller and the top of my PC keyboard was angled up towards my video displays.

If you can imagine this so far then visualize the rest of my setup.
    The base of my two 24" video monitor displays sit nicely directly behind the raised shelf. All my midi keyboard wires and pc keyboard wire are tucked under the raised shelf and hidden nicely. I have space for my EMU 1820M rack and othe raccessories to the right and left of my computer keyboard on this raised shelf. I taped velco to the right side of the top of my midi keyboard controller and applied my black trimmed mouse pad to the velco.

I really have to show you my photos. For less than $150 and a approx 45 minutes of careful cutting I built myself an awesome workstation. My setup looks a lot better than other photos from the links posted in this thread.

As an alternative, if you have money to burn, you can spen $3,000 for a similar setup from a custom made dealer.

Hey! Perhaps I should purchase a truckload of the above mentioned tables and shelves and advertise my own custom made DAW tables! I could resign from my day job. I will give northernsounds forum members a $500 discount and only charge you guys $2,500! Whadda ya dink?
    P4 3.0, 2 gig ram, nvidia 6800gt, 3 SATA drives, EMU-1820M, UAD-1, Studiologic SL-110, Mackie Universal Controller, Behringer Truth B2031A, Cubase SX3, Kontakt2, EWQL Gold, EWQL Choirs, EWQL Collosus, NI Akoustik Piano, NI Elektrik Piano, NI B4 II, EZ Drummer, Lyrical Distortion 1+2, Scarbee Bass, Real Guitar2, Atmospheres, Absynth1, GPO

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis
    Dear group,

I've been looking for a desk built to hold an 88-note keyboard, and haven't found any that fit right for me.

Omnirax desks are amazing, but waay out of my price range. The Producer's Desk by RTA looks a bit junky....

Please let me know what your solution is! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex Davis

You'd be surprised that some of the desks at Office Max, Staples and even Wal-Mart may fit your needs and are not outrageously priced. They don't make them small anymore.

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a desk to hold 88-note keyboard

Thank you for all of the great advice! I'm going to avoid getting an expensive desk, will probably take a few trips to the Office supply stores to find something that'll meet my needs.

-Alex

I actually needed a dest fast after we moved. While at Wal-Mart, I saw one that totally fit my needs for $50.00! It's perfect for what I needed it for. Or, if you are loaded and, Argosy will build one to suit your specific needs. www.argosyconsole.com
    Styxx

Go Back to forum