• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Love it when us older people win big

Share/Bookmark

Love it when us older people win big

Gustavo A. Santaolalla won tonight for best score for Babel. He is 54 years old. and this is his 2nd oscar win in last two years (Brokeback mountain last year)

And Copland wrote some of is best work in his late 70's....

It is never too late, and we can compose until we die, or something like that...

Re: Love it when us older people win big

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    Gustavo A. Santaolalla won tonight for best score for Babel. He is 54 years old. and this is his 2nd oscar win in last two years (Brokeback mountain last year)

And Copland wrote some of is best work in his late 70's....

It is never too late, and we can compose until we die, or something like that...
    sorry but this was the biggest piece of crap score I have heard since his 5 minute repeating guitar dittie for Brokeback Mountain. I agree that it's never too late to strive to be a great composer but Santaolalla is a bad example. And his winning above Thomas Newman, Alexandre Desplat & Philip Glass is an insult to their mastery of the craft of real orchestral composition.

yes, not the best work, and life is not fair. Agreed.

But still nice that anybody can come out of the wood work and win big

Since I was very young, I've paid a lot of attention to the advice and suggestions of older people - 'older' as in retired age. It wasn't a 'being smart' thing. It just seemed logical to me. They're the ones who know what life - and the bread and butter of life's tendencies - will look like and how it will work for me – in general.

In sports, you're a senior when you cross 30 years old, but in art people just keep getting better with age (providing they still put an effort into it). It seems logical that most accomplished composers aren't young, but rather seasoned middle aged to older men (or ladies). It's like they need to live life first, before they can put it into notes.

I haven't seen this film, haven't heard the score. But it seems quite logical that a man would get acknowledged over 50 rather than at 20 - in music. You need to do Iglesias type of stuff to get acknowledged at 20

And of course; the most liked works never get awards. Musicians who measure things by awards and incomes are what me and my friends call bounty hunters. Remember Mozart who died pretty much broke at 35 years of age and was thrown into a mass grave.

Whenever I hear that the composer is older, I'm immediatly more interested than with someone who is 18. The younger man may get there, but the older man is there - hopefully.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    sorry but this was the biggest piece of crap score I have heard since his 5 minute repeating guitar dittie for Brokeback Mountain. I agree that it's never too late to strive to be a great composer but Santaolalla is a bad example. And his winning above Thomas Newman, Alexandre Desplat & Philip Glass is an insult to their mastery of the craft of real orchestral composition.
    I couldn't agree more. Finally, someone saying it.

I absolutely loved Gustavo A. Santaolalla's score for Babel... and his score for Brokeback Mountain. The only problem with the latter was that the album contains less of his music and more country songs. I have not seen the other films nominated yet. I sure Monsieurs Glass, Desplat, etc did a bang up job as well.

There are no rules that say a film soundtrack needs to be orchestral. Just because these other composers are "masters of the craft of real orchestral composition" does not mean they supported the film in the best way possible.

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    But still nice that anybody can come out of the wood work and win big
    There's hope for me yet, I guess. I hit the double-nickel last year, and after a thirty year hiatus from composing, I got back into it by writing a piece for my niece's upcoming wedding.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=667903

I don't know if what I'm writing now is any good, but that's not the point. What's important is that we don't lose our creativity as we get older, no matter what the end result might be.

As for whether Mr. Santaolalla's score is any good or not, just remember: making movies is a team sport. If the music is exactly what the director/producer wants, and it sound like garbage, blame them; not the composer.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    Gustavo A. Santaolalla won tonight for best score for Babel. He is 54 years old.
    It is said that composers reach their creative climax around age of 50. So let's wait and see...

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    I absolutely loved Gustavo A. Santaolalla's score for Babel... and his score for Brokeback Mountain. The only problem with the latter was that the album contains less of his music and more country songs. I have not seen the other films nominated yet. I sure Monsieurs Glass, Desplat, etc did a bang up job as well.

There are no rules that say a film soundtrack needs to be orchestral. Just because these other composers are "masters of the craft of real orchestral composition" does not mean they supported the film in the best way possible.

All the very best,

Darren
    Absolutely, well said. The award is for best film score, not best score or best composition.

Though I'm primarily an orchestral composer, I think that genre has become quite bland and cliche in film these days. Nothing new or exciting seems to be coming from the old war horses.

Obviously, as evidenced by the past two years, the academy sees it the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by wja
    The award is for best film score, not best score or best composition.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.
    In film entertainment music is secondary and it's there to enhance other things, not to play itself out. An absolutist could probably claim that if the score of a film is incoherent and saying nothing within itself, then it is most likely excellent in the context it was made for.

... or something like that
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum