• Register
  • Help

Topic: can I run GS 3.21 with 1 gb RAM ?

Share/Bookmark

can I run GS 3.21 with 1 gb RAM ?

When I load any instruments my system crash with version 3.21. Is because I just got 1 gb of RAM? Or it could be problems with my memory configuration. Can somebody give me a hand?

Re: can I run GS 3.21 with 1 gb RAM ?

Quote Originally Posted by mortadelev
    When I load any instruments my system crash with version 3.21. Is because I just got 1 gb of RAM? Or it could be problems with my memory configuration. Can somebody give me a hand?
    You may want to take a peak at my post in the Sample Library Discussion. Piano Samples Won’t Load in Gigastudio…Please Help.

It outlines my system specs and what I've had to do to get samples to load. I'm still working on the piano samples playing glitch free part!

Good luck,

Joy

Depends on how big the instruments are. Some giga pianos are quite big.
    Memory = 2 Gigs of RAM is the norm. Dont forget your PC also uses some of the memory; so with 2 gigs the memory available for giga will be about 1.5 gigs.

I use my system to run a large virtual pipe organ, so I avoid the mega pianos coz they can choke up the system.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Quote Originally Posted by OWJ
    Memory = 2 Gigs of RAM is the norm. Dont forget your PC also uses some of the memory
    Yes. As does your sequencer/DAW application... as does your reverb... as does every other application or VSTi that you may have running at the time. Windows is pretty hungry on its own.

You would be very well served to upgrade your system to 2GB of RAM.

Just make sure that you follow your computer manufacturer's instructions regarding which type/speed/configuration of memory chips to get!!

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

On the other hand... I've been running 1GB for some time now. Sometimes I have to render and do a second pass, but that hasn't been a problem for my workflow

The key for me is not to use large templates, but to load things as I need them. GS3 loads samples very fast, so this hasn't been a problem. With GS2.5 I was always looking for that perfect template - but that was because my system loaded samples so dang slowly!

So, yes, 1GB is workable, if you use focussed instrumentation for your works.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    On the other hand... I've been running 1GB for some time now. Sometimes I have to render and do a second pass, but that hasn't been a problem for my workflow

The key for me is not to use large templates, but to load things as I need them. GS3 loads samples very fast, so this hasn't been a problem. With GS2.5 I was always looking for that perfect template - but that was because my system loaded samples so dang slowly!

So, yes, 1GB is workable, if you use focussed instrumentation for your works.
    I ran GS3 for a while with 1 gig of RAM. I prefer to work with smaller templates.

Go Back to forum