• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A new DAW for a new era

Share/Bookmark

Talking A new DAW for a new era

Hi people,

Since you're the ones who helped me to build my current DAW, you're the ones I'll bug one more time

Well, since the end of 2005, I tried to put together a AMD X2 4400+ 4gb RAM. Many people here knows how much I suffered because of some components. Now it seems it's running fine, but yet with some things I wanted to be different:

- My XP only recognizes 3gb of my 4gb RAM.
    - I hear glitches and pops when using the Sonar 6 multicore option. Probably it's my EWQL NI plugins' fault, not Sonar's, but anyway, without that option, I miss some CPU processing.
    - I'm using 32bit OS.
    - 939 socket (DDR1 RAMs)
    - Nowadays, the AMD X2 939 is surpassed by many other CPUs.

Since this other computer I'm using is very old, I want to put my current DAW here, use it for other purposes, and to build a new DAW. This time I want it:

- to support 8gb RAM DDR2, at least.
    - To have lots of horsepower. Don't know if I would go Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad or even dual Xeons, dual-dual Xeons?
    - Vista x64 than XP x86.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Should I really go for Intel this time? And what kind of processor would suit my needs (LOTS AND LOTS of virtual instruments, synthesizers, 100gb sample libraries, many tracks with plugins in real time...)?

Thank you, guys
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Re: A new DAW for a new era

The last PC I built for myself was an A64 3000+. My son put together a Core 2 Duo with good success, but not at the level that you want (8GB, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by fabricioz
    What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Should I really go for Intel this time? And what kind of processor would suit my needs (LOTS AND LOTS of virtual instruments, synthesizers, 100gb sample libraries, many tracks with plugins in real time...)?
    I just read an article about AMD lowering their prices. The X2 6000+ is similar in price and performance to the Intel 6600, but the power consumption of the AMD is higher.

So... Intel still holds the edge with the Core 2 Duo, but the margin is now small.

I would choose Intel today. By the end of the year, AMD will come out with their new architecture. The game may change then...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2933

Thanks, Jon.

If I was going to buy it today, I would definitely go for the Intel. They are faster, 65mm (less power consumption and less heat generation) and more L2 cache memory. The AMD prices dropped but it's not still available in most retailers, even worse in my case (in Brazil).

I'm looking forward to AMD new architecture, but Intel will show us some new stuff also. I think the more I wait, the better will be (better components for lower prices).

Jon, are you using XP 32 bits?
    Wormhole Studios

Quote Originally Posted by fabricioz
    Jon, are you using XP 32 bits?
    Yes. And I don't plan to change until I make a major upgrade: Computer, OS, Audio Card, Sequencer, Sampler... Probably not until late 2008. Definitely not 2007. It's too much money and time for too little a jump at present. (IMHO.) But someday...

Most current motherboards only support 8 GB of RAM. Only server boards offer more. The 2 GB chips are still not offered by many manufacturers and the price is usually between $400-$500 for 2 - 2 GB chips (4 GB total).

I have the Core 2 Duo E6600 in the system I just updated. I'm very impressed with the performance of this and can run about 4x as many plugins with 32 bit software. I was getting much better performance with Sonar 6.20 x64 version in Windows XP x64 Pro. Unfortunately, VSTi's like Drumkit From Hell Superior doesn't load up settings after closing the project. This is caused by having to go through Bitbridge (64 bit to 32 bit conversion app). The other VSTi's were running fine. The new Garritan Solo Cello was only 2% CPU.

Jim

Most current motherboards only support 8 GB of RAM. Only server boards offer more. The 2 GB chips are still not offered by many manufacturers and the price is usually between $400-$500 for 2 - 2 GB chips (4 GB total).

I have the Core 2 Duo E6600 in the system I just updated. I'm very impressed with the performance of this and can run about 4x as many plugins with 32 bit software. I was getting much better performance with Sonar 6.20 x64 version in Windows XP x64 Pro. Unfortunately, VSTi's like Drumkit From Hell Superior doesn't load up settings after closing the project. This is caused by having to go through Bitbridge (64 bit to 32 bit conversion app). The other VSTi's were running fine. The new Garritan Solo Cello was only 2% CPU.

Jim

Great info, Jim.
    I see many people is using server boards and processors (Opterons, Xeons, etc) instead of desktop basic processors. Besides more memory (and a second socket), is there any real processing benefit on it?
    Wormhole Studios

More memory & dual or quad (multicore) CPU's are big advantages of a 'server' board. With X64, one can do all in a single DAW. Now & today
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

Hi Robert,

Your DAW has 2 dual core processors, right?

Besides the two sockets (and the possibility of more memory), what are the main differences in performance about the Opteron and the X2? Do you recommend the 'server' processors for DAW?
    Wormhole Studios

fabricioz,

>Besides the two sockets (and the possibility of more memory), what are the main differences in performance about the Opteron and the X2?

Roughly the same performance at same clockspeed.

>Do you recommend the 'server' processors for DAW?

Only if you need multiple CPU's for additional processing power and memory, or if you want to reduce problems e.g. due to RAM errors.
    For example, I'm having both ECC & Chipkill activated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipkill
    This gives a very reliable system that shouldn't blink even if an entire memory chip fails.
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

Go Back to forum