• Register
  • Help

Topic: Battle

Share/Bookmark

Battle

here's a battle theme made with Finale GPO and some learnings from the RK Course (especially the use of tutti in the final part)

let me know what's good and what's wrong

http://downgrade89.altervista.org/Battaglia_128.mp3

Re: Battle

Hi Downgrade!
    I really think that this is a great work! I enjoyed it very much. The only suggestions that I have is that maybe it needs just a touch more reverb and the snares sound a little machine-gun-like to me, but that can be fixed. Other than that, it's a very ambitious composition. Very well done!
    Take Care,
    Steph

I can't read, write or speak Italian. How do I find your music on the page to which your link directs us?

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Right click on the link that he gave and "save as". It worked for me that way.

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Right click on the link that he gave and "save as". It worked for me that way.
    Thank you, Miss Steph.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

It could be just me, but I kinda missed the contrast and dissonance I usually hear in my head when I think of battle--the sense of tension. The work was very thematic and I like the use of your cannonic phrases, but you might want to think about setting your piece a bit more "minor." (After all, battles are horrific as well as glorious).

Something I find that helps is I write with a blank score (no key signature) and find chords that fit well around the melody. This also helps with the tension as you're bound to use chords that don't conform, strictly speaking, to the tonal scale you're using. Trust me, I am not a tonal music basher (all of my stuff is tonal)... I simply don't like feeling stuck in one key. Hehehe...call me rebellious, but I find shifting around the key to be fun!
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

sounds good man. very intense at parts. i liked it a lot. keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    It could be just me, but I kinda missed the contrast and dissonance I usually hear in my head when I think of battle--the sense of tension. The work was very thematic and I like the use of your cannonic phrases, but you might want to think about setting your piece a bit more "minor." (After all, battles are horrific as well as glorious).

Something I find that helps is I write with a blank score (no key signature) and find chords that fit well around the melody. This also helps with the tension as you're bound to use chords that don't conform, strictly speaking, to the tonal scale you're using. Trust me, I am not a tonal music basher (all of my stuff is tonal)... I simply don't like feeling stuck in one key. Hehehe...call me rebellious, but I find shifting around the key to be fun!
    thank you! i'll try that!

however it doesn't sound horrific because my main reference is a RPG Battle Theme, and, you know, in a game battle aren't horrific, i'll try something more dramatic too...

Quite a battle, Downgrade! I think I'd go with
    Foss and expect slightly more strife in the
    harmony; but this is strong writing that depicts
    its subject well -- with energy and momentum
    and drama.

Very well done!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum