• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 28 days....and counting

Share/Bookmark

28 days....and counting

Yep. Well, technically it will be more than that until we receive our Solo Strings Expansion Kit but you know what I mean. Here's a question to all those who pre-ordered it: what is the first thing you will compose with the new solo string sounds?

I'll be writing some pieces solo violin and cello duet for my upcoming wedding. I'm also working on a few smaller ensemble pieces as I have better chances of getting them played by acoustic musicians than a humungous orchestral piece (sadly of course).

What about everyone else?

Re: 28 days....and counting

I just pre-ordered my Solo Strings. This is actually going to interupt my work flow, as I have been working on a large project with the solo strings in mind. I've worked it up to a certain point and am going to stop until I get the S/S. I'll then do some "test" songs with the S/S and dive right back into the larger work, in which I had already been planning to use the S/S anyway.

Until then, I have some other things to wrap up. I pretty much based this workflow on Jason's late fall projections, which have been very accurate. In those regards I thank him.

Once I clear my slate I am going to look at the couple of string quartets and string orchestra things. This program just keeps getting better. Once a few other wrinkles are ironed out (printing in particular) it will be all the more better. In fact, I've pretty much based much of this year's work off of the S/S in one way or the other.

So... rosin up those bows and have a blast!

hawksong

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksong
    I just pre-ordered my Solo Strings. This is actually going to interupt my work flow, as I have been working on a large project with the solo strings in mind. I've worked it up to a certain point and am going to stop until I get the S/S. I'll then do some "test" songs with the S/S and dive right back into the larger work, in which I had already been planning to use the S/S anyway.

Until then, I have some other things to wrap up. I pretty much based this workflow on Jason's late fall projections, which have been very accurate. In those regards I thank him.

Once I clear my slate I am going to look at the couple of string quartets and string orchestra things. This program just keeps getting better. Once a few other wrinkles are ironed out (printing in particular) it will be all the more better. In fact, I've pretty much based much of this year's work off of the S/S in one way or the other.

So... rosin up those bows and have a blast!

hawksong
    Have you considered writing your solo parts using the corresponding section sounds? Once the kit comes in, you could simply hit Shift-I and change the staves from section to the solo instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Windsor
    Have you considered writing your solo parts using the corresponding section sounds? Once the kit comes in, you could simply hit Shift-I and change the staves from section to the solo instruments.
    I thought about that too when working on my pieces but the timbral characteristic is as much a part of my compositional process as the pitches and harmonies. This often determines the individual lines I write. Perhaps I shouldn't follow this credo but orchestration to me as endemic to the writing process to me. So, I'll just (im)patiently wait for my Solo Strings Kit. Really excited about it.

Talking Re: 28 days....and counting

Smart tip (shift I), Jason. I am going to use that little shortcut to edit some older Notion pieces that were screamin' for solo strings and not sectional sounds. I am looking forward to this kit as well.

Is it just me, or do the prices on the kits seems to be rising? Up here in Canada (with the shipping, duty, kit itself and tax costs), by the time it gets to me, the price is approximately double the original kit price. No complaints though, I have all the kits released to date.

What is the next kit to be released? It would be nice to see your release date plans for upcoming kits.

Quote Originally Posted by John2

Is it just me, or do the prices on the kits seems to be rising? Up here in Canada (with the shipping, duty, kit itself and tax costs), by the time it gets to me, the price is approximately double the original kit price. No complaints though, I have all the kits released to date.
    Canada is expensive. Seriously though, I know what you mean. I'm paying $90 for the string kit after all is said and done. But its still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by John2
    Smart tip (shift I), Jason. I am going to use that little shortcut to edit some older Notion pieces that were screamin' for solo strings and not sectional sounds. I am looking forward to this kit as well.

What is the next kit to be released? It would be nice to see your release date plans for upcoming kits.
    The kit prices have more to do with the size of the kit (number of samples) and complexity (amount of work to incorporate them) than with when they are released.

The next kits being released haven't been determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Windsor
    The kit prices have more to do with the size of the kit (number of samples) and complexity (amount of work to incorporate them) than with when they are released.

The next kits being released haven't been determined.
    I cannot speak for anyone else Jason but I hope you don't misinterpret my post. I'm delighted that the Solo String kit is coming out. I think us Canucks only lament the price in shipping and customs that our beloved country lumps onto any orders from the States. That's certainly not your problem and I don't think it's hindering sales. I mean, getting a bunch of high quality solo string sound for under $100 is cool in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I cannot speak for anyone else Jason but I hope you don't misinterpret my post. I'm delighted that the Solo String kit is coming out. I think us Canucks only lament the price in shipping and customs that our beloved country lumps onto any orders from the States. That's certainly not your problem and I don't think it's hindering sales. I mean, getting a bunch of high quality solo string sound for under $100 is cool in my books.
    I was only trying to explain that kit prices aren't (consciously) trending one way or another, and are priced completely independant of the others.

I wasn't taking anything anyone said personally. I hate that those fees are there for a lot of our foreign users. Maybe you can trade some prescription drugs with elderly Americans willing to buy sound kits for you*.

*Neither Jason Windsor nor Notion Music, Inc. advocate the unlawful sale or distribution of illegal or illegally-obtained drugs and/or sound kits. Please refer to your local pharmacist/acoustician for further information.

No probs Jason. It would be a hard feat to make me disillusioned towards Virtuoso Works or NOTION.

Go Back to forum