• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: P4 Motherboard Selection

Share/Bookmark

P4 Motherboard Selection

I am starting a selection process for a P4-based motherboard.

My ideal features list are:
    DDR 333
    Hyperthreading
    Serial ATA
    LAN
    USB 2.0
    533 MHz FSB
    Firewire (optional)
    3 GB RAM

I would initially populate the boards with a 2.4 GHz P4, and standard SDRAM with plans to upgrade both in the future.

The Asus P4S8X (SIS 648/963 chip set) fits this bill except for the Hyperthreading requirement. The P4S8X get a very good review from Motherboards.com. Does anyone have any experience with this MB? Any other suggestions of boards that fit all these requirements?

Thanks,

Re: P4 Motherboard Selection

The Gigabyte GA-8INXP looks nice.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/8inxp.htm

I\'m using the ASUS P4PE board. Beware, there are many variations of this board. Mine has LAN, Serial ATA (with RAID), hyperthreading support, USB 2.0, 533 MHZ FSB, Firewire. The Intel 845PE chipset only supports 2 GB of RAM.

I purchased the motherboard for $145, P4 2.4 boxed processor (includes fan and 3 year warranty) for $192. Both from www.newegg.com

Checked the price on the processor today and it\'s on sale for $164 with free shipping!!

Newegg also has pretty good memory prices. You can get 1 GB of DDR 2700 (333) memory for between $160 for value memory to $250 for Corsair XMS memory (fewer clock cycles). Very few motherboards support SDRAM so plan on purchasing memory.

Try to get hold of ASUS\' new board, the P4SDX - that\'s what I am gonna buy as replacement board here - it should be out in the U.S. by now.

I see under “special features” that the P4SDX has Instant Music. Good nose Simon!

Thanks for all the info guys. Simon, this P4SDX looks like the next step - 4 GB of dual channel DDR/333! I think it has everything I want. It seems the web reviewer like the new SiS 655 chip set a lot.

Hydan, I have had good experiences with Newegg.com as well. I just purchased a WD 8MB Cache 120GB drive for $134 from them. Great price and service. I am looking at www.directron.com A friend of mine uses them and they will assemble, install an OS and test a system of component you buy from them for $37. I don\'t mind self assembly but for $37 …

At first I was considering an inexpensive giga machine but seeing as I am taking delivery on the complete VSL and the eventual release of 3.0 (which I assume will allow more digital processing - more power), I decided to put a system together that is near the fastest and capable of near-future upgrade (memory size and type, HD protocol and processor (hyperthreading)).

I do have a DAW question for you guy. Is there a custom way to install XP that is best for a DAWs. I have not installed XP before and wondered what kind of options are available.

Also, serial ATA - nice fast interface but who is going to make a drive that takes advantage of it?

Thanks

csduke, I don\'t know about the special DAW installation on XP. Some time ago it was a rule to install in STANDARD PC mode instead of ACPI - a setting you can also change under XP after you have installed, although it\'s recommended to do during install. Something about pressing F6 - I never got it working But I have tried both ACPI and Standard PC and haven\'t noticed any difference so I just go with ACPI now.

Serial ATA - I think the new Seagate Barracuda V exists in a Serial ATA version.

I think the Seagate SATA is “on the verge”, rather than shipping. I’ve read that at this point, some of the standard ATA drives from WD and IBM still outperform the Seagate SATA.

WD has a SATA drive in the works called Raptor. Smaller capacities, but faster.

The biggest advantage with SATA seems to be the nice cables anyway

where in the heck are your guys seeing this new Asus board being sold? I can not find one online anywhere! also whats the cost? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum