• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO without controller?

Share/Bookmark

GPO without controller?

Well i'm not entirely sure if i should post this in here or the "tips..." section, but the caption to this section does mention finding answers, so....

I've been eyeing GPO for a while now, but there's one massive obstacle... i don't have a midi controller keyboard I run Cubase SX3 and can sequence midi, and GPO looks like a marvelous product that i think i could really benefit from, but i don't want to waste the money investing in it if it's going to be a really tiresome, tedious thing for me to use without a keyboard. Can/does anybody use GPO by inputting notes individually with a good old fashioned mouse, and if so, is it really worth it? I mean, if it's going to take a considerable amount of time more than it would with a controller i'll wait until i can afford both. Any help?

I'm new to the home studio thing so cut me some slack here

Re: GPO without controller?

I have a controller but never use it. Everything I do is with the mouse and notation hooked to VSTi. The reason is that minute you put your fingers on a instrument, your ideas instinctively reduce to the what your hands are capable of. Not a way to go. So I would not hestitate. If you are interested in composition, you will not find anything better or more comprehensive at the price.

I don't use a music keyboard. I input each individual note in my compositions with my mouse. You can listen to some of my works and judge the quality, or lack thereof, for yourself.

The quickest way to do something, especially music composition, is not the best method. Why don't you slow down and savor the very act of creating itself?

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

You've gotten excellent encouragement on your thread, sotoxi-mercer, from people who get great results with GPO without using a keyboard controller. I hope you take their advice and get GPO with no further ado!

And, as Devil's Advocate for the keyboard question, and speaking as someone who Does use a keyboard controller, I want you to know that a perfectly usable controller can be found for $50 and sometimes even less. You don't need one that has more than the basics, which are touch sensitivity and a programmable modulation wheel. Whatever limitations there are in your keyboard technique are so largely compensated for with software tools such as the ability to loop sections you're working on.

Taking exception to the warning that "...your ideas instinctively reduce to the what your hands are capable of..." I feel that the organic process of actually playing musical passages, even with one hand, lends a naturalness and excitement to your pieces that you can't achieve by using only a mouse.

A hybrid approach to both methods is what I and a lot of sequencer users (as opposed to notation users) employ. Playing notes with a keyboard, and fine detail editing by mouse in Piano View and Staff View. It doesn't need to be necessarily true that the music you write will be limited by your playing technique.

However you end up approaching your projects, I have no hesitation in predicting you will fall in love with GPO.

Randy
    (rbowser)

This is all true.

But sometimes speed on a project is necessary.

Cubase's strong point is it's MIDI sequencing powers, whereas it's notaion side seems somewhat lacking to me-- not up to the quality of software geared toward notation like Sibelius or Finale.
    I am a Cubase (4) user, but the MIDI side is all I ever use, and manually inputting notes via mouse in MIDI is a bit trickier and tedious than it is with notation.
    So if you are doing MIDI sequencing, I would recommend getting a keyboard of some type-- anything will work-- an $80 keyboard will work just fine provided it has MIDI support.
    I don't have mod or pitch wheels on my keyboard, and even if I did, I would probably still apply modulation and pitch by hand in Cubase.

This is a piece I did for a short film with Cubase and GPO.
    It is by no means perfect or even great, but it is will probably give you a fairly good idea of how GPO+Cubase can sound together.
    WARNING: This is a pretty low quality MP3.
    http://www.outside-hollywood.com/men-o-war.mp3

If you are going the notation route, (which I don't suppose you are, since you are using Cubase) a keyboard helps to input notes.
    It is just way faster at to play a C-chord on the keyboard than to manually (with the mouse) drop in C, E, G.
    When I used Sibelius for the first time I was using an ancient Ensoniq keyboard that was older than I am!
    So for this method, really anything with keys (and MIDI) will suffice.

But either way you decide to go, GPO is going to be a really good investment!!

So far I've only worked with a mouse - in fact the mousepad on my laptop, which is even more tedious. It's silly really. I have a great setup in my studio, with a full size keyboard, and I'm a very competent pianist. Work would be so much quicker in there, but it's next to my daughters' bedroom, and the only time I get to do any work is after they're in bed.

Working on the laptop is painstaking, but it is possible. Here's a link to a piece I posted a couple of weeks ago, which was done one note, one velocity, one cc at a time. The problem is, of course, that everything is robotically accurate, and doesn't breathe, but I can live with that, for the advantage of being able to compose anytime, anywhere.

http://minorcrisis.net/files/scherzo.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    The problem is, of course, that everything is robotically accurate
    Oh, I never have that problem!
    Maybe it is beacuse you are a competent pianist.

Pingu---Headphones--?--How do you listen to your work as you go? Your post seemed to indicate that using a keyboard would disturb the household, but when you test what you're working on, what do you do?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Pingu---Headphones--?--How do you listen to your work as you go? Your post seemed to indicate that using a keyboard would disturb the household, but when you test what you're working on, what do you do?

Randy
    In-ear walkman headphones. Once I'm finished I try checking it over, either on my studio machines, or by hooking the laptop up to a hi-fi amp at school and mixing in my lunch break. I have to admit I'm never really happy with my mixes, and quite often chenge my mind several times about balances.

Hi, Pingu---OK, I see, sort of. From your earlier post, it sounded as if using your keyboard somehow prevented you from monitoring on headphones. "...Work would be so much quicker in there, but it's next to my daughters' bedroom, and the only time I get to do any work is after they're in bed..." I still don't get why you can't monitor in your studio with headphones while using the keyboard--?

Walkman ear plugs--! Wow--Interesting. But it's amazing how well one can monitor without speakers while working, so obviously this set up works well for you.

Randy
    rbowser

Go Back to forum