• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: River Deep - Mountain High (gpo & Jabb)

Share/Bookmark

River Deep - Mountain High (gpo & Jabb)

Here is my arrangement of this classic Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich written song first recorded in 1966.

Vocalist: Gagli solo violin 1 (duck out of water).
    Backing band: selection of JABB & GPO instruments only.(and a little vocal sample)

Recorded using Cubase 4, Desk: Tascam FW-1884

River Deep - Mountain High

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Re: River Deep - Mountain High (gpo & Jabb)

Hi, Ray--I'm listening to this as I type, and I'm loving it. Really nice production on this. That GPO Gagli can sound pretty darned good can't it though? --I am hearing some distortion, but it could be this funky set up I have on my internet computer (my music machine is kept offline).

Wow--really nice touches throughout this--Listening again now. Really good el guitar--And the whole rhythm section sounds great.

Thanks!

Randy
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Ray--I'm listening to this as I type, and I'm loving it. Really nice production on this. That GPO Gagli can sound pretty darned good can't it though? --I am hearing some distortion, but it could be this funky set up I have on my internet computer (my music machine is kept offline).

Wow--really nice touches throughout this--Listening again now. Really good el guitar--And the whole rhythm section sounds great.

Thanks!

Randy
    (rbowser)
    Thanks for taking time out from your major project work to have a listen Randy,
    I hope you're hearing distortion because both JABB electric guitars are recorded through amp simulator plugins with varying amounts of preamp drive. In fact all tracks have had degrees of processing and level riding during the mastering stage. And the GPO Gagli is trying not to be a quacking duck out of water. I expect a few listeners thinking how disrespectful, using such a classic instrument in this way

Cheers

Ray

Hi, Ray

Oh I think you did a really great job with the distorto rocked-out JABB guitars. Excellent. And I had no trouble distinguishing that clearly designed choice. When I was saying I might be hearing distortion, I meant of the other kind--The maxed out and into digital-clipping kind of sound which sounds very different. That's a fuzzy, grating, gritty sound which isn't musical in the way purposeful amp-sim (or Real amp) distortion is.

But, it really could be these online computer speakers not being up to the task.

I enjoyed your piece very much.

Randy
    rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Ray

Oh I think you did a really great job with the distorto rocked-out JABB guitars. Excellent. And I had no trouble distinguishing that clearly designed choice. When I was saying I might be hearing distortion, I meant of the other kind--The maxed out and into digital-clipping kind of sound which sounds very different. That's a fuzzy, grating, gritty sound which isn't musical in the way purposeful amp-sim (or Real amp) distortion is.

But, it really could be these online computer speakers not being up to the task.

I enjoyed your piece very much.

Randy
    rbowser
    I think you're right Randy,
    Listening for the first time today on headphones I hear the clipping.
    I've re-recorded the piece and I think it's much cleaner except for one cymbal crash.
    During the first recording I hadn't noticed the master fader affecting the monitor level on my mixing desk. It should have been disabled while working in my DAW. I'll have to concentrate more switching it in and out between desktop and DAW operation.

Ray

Hello again, Ray

Well that's good that you took a headphone listen and decided there was some unintentional distortion that you could avoid in a re-mix. I wasn't positive about the problem, but glad my feedback helped you zero in on your project.

When you refer to your desktop, you mean an outboard hardware mixer? I'm interested why you're mixing through that rather than not entirely in your Daw? And I'm not following why you want to disable the Daw master during the mixing--? That's--well, the Master--What else would you be monitoring? Maybe a sound card out without benefit of master slider gain riding?

It's always interesting to hear how people work, so if you have time to explain more, I'd like to hear.

Randy B.

Randy,

It's a pleasure to explain my way of working. As you say, the community benifits from knowing the right and/or wrong way of doing things. I have just purchased a Tascam FW-1884 firewire control surface which has a built in sound card. www.tascam.com/Products/FW-1884.html It allows the main fader to be linked to the monitor output when working from the desktop with any media player, but this link should be released when working in the DAW to stop dual processing of the master level. I can use a seperate control room mix in Cubase 4 but up to now I haven't found the need to do this.
    This control surface has changed the way I mix and record. I used to cut corners on levels and eq due to the tiring process of mouse cursor on screen, perhaps being too lazy to adjust a little here and there just to give the mix that bit extra oomph!! (without flat topping).

I'd love to hear how you and others do your thing.

Ray

Ray--What a good post! Thank you--I'm sure other people have or will enjoy it also.

I went to the site to see about the control surface you're using. What a great unit!--Not knowing anyone who uses a "control service," I tend to not think about them. What you described about how using it relieves "mouse tedium" certainly is clear and understandable. Great!

Isn't it interesting, that technology has developed to the point where people were first able to produce music with only a computer and software, but that the pendulum swings back to bringing in hardware mixers again, but in this new hybrid form where the "old school" mixing console also controls the computer software. Really interesting. Like the advertisements say, there's nothing like the tactile satisfaction of twiddling knobs and sliders.

You asked how other people work--I'll say that I have a hybrid set up of a different sort, tying in old equipment I have with the newer computer-bound pieces.

I use Sonar Home Studio, and an M-Audio 24/96 sound card along with a Tascam US-122 audio interface. The latter's MIDI outs go to my old 360 Systems (remember them?!) MIDI Patcher which in turn cascades into an Akai ME30P MIDI patcher--giving me 12 discrete channels of MIDI.

Those outs are all needed to rope in things like my beloved Korg X5dr sound module, my old war horse Yamaha FB-01 AND--my CZ 1000! That's the version of the CZ-101 with the full sized keys. Many sounds still to be had from that unit in particular, but all of my hardware synths offer unique sounds--Include a Korg Symphony module, a Kawai K2m module, and the Yamaha TX16W sampler module. These hardware units are all patched to a Kawai keyboard mixer, the MX-8R--for direct feed into my computer.

But the heart of what I do is in the computer--my sequencing software (Sonar) and Garritan programs--GPO and JABB.

I'm glad that I found a way to tie in some old equipment via the Tascam and the MIDI patchers, all controlled, along with the Garritan libraries and other soft synths, via a very humble MK-4902 keyboard. With the MK's programmable mod wheel, I'm content to make multiple passes on my projects, utilizing as many MIDI controllers as I need, even though I can only access one at a time when working in real time.

One more software program I find invaluable--Sound Forge.

A rambling run-down of what I have in my little home studio, hopefully it was somewhat cogent and maybe even entertaining!

Randy B.

Randy,

This probably isn't the place on the forum to go too deeply into studio setups but the information you give on your bits and pieces is interesting for my education. You don't have to tell me about Casio keyboards. I had one in the '80's, a CZ3000. A wonderful thing for the price. I also had a Kawai K1, a Korg Micro Preset (wonderful clarinet patch), used to play Moonlight Serenade (left hand JVC keyboard right hand Micro preset).
    I'd love to exchange and discuss more tips and tricks on mixing and recording, with you and others Randy, perhaps in the general discussion area.

Kind Regards

Ray

Darned nice job on this, Ray! Some hot, cool
    riffs in this...

Ray, ya gotta gotta get the Strad for this... rofl!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast