• Register
  • Help

Topic: mutes for flugelhorns

Share/Bookmark
    Power Profile User

mutes for flugelhorns

I was under the impression that the flugelhorns used the same mutes that the trumpets do. If they do, why isn't there any in JABB or why isn't there a KS?

Re: mutes for flugelhorns

Quote Originally Posted by Bob De Celle
    I was under the impression that the flugelhorns used the same mutes that the trumpets do. If they do, why isn't there any in JABB or why isn't there a KS?
    Your impression is incorrect. Flugelhorns are almost never used with mutes of any kind. The bells are too large to be used with standard trumpet mutes. Art Farmer was an interesting exception. He used a modified trombone harmon mute on occasion (he wrapped it in duct tape for a unique effect.) His use of this mute was an extreme rarity. I've played flugelhorn for over 25 years and never once used a mute.

Tom

Power Profile User

It crossed my mind after I asked the question that the bell might be too big for trumpet mutes, and maybe it just isn't worth it to use mutes on the flugelhorn anyway, with the exception of Art Farmer, as you point out.
    However trombones have bucket mutes etc. (to fit the instrument) so I don't see that the size would have that much bearing on it.
    I've written a section with the flugelhorn above the horns, and I would love to have it play in somethng like a bucket mute to better match the color of the horns.
    As always thank you for your input.

Bob De Celle

Generally, a flugel is used because of its specific tone color, otherwise a trumpet with some sort of mute would be called for. In real life, a flugel on top of a horn section should be gorgeous - no mute required. Of course, with samples, you're limited to the nature of the speciric samples in question. You could also try writing/sequencing a unison of bucket mute trumpet and flugel on top of the horns and see what that sounds like. With JABB, you have the option of keeping the pitch exacly in tune all the way through or allowing for some variation.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Power Profile User

Thanks for that excellent idea about mixing a bucket muted trumpet along with the flugelhorn. The flugelhorn does blend well with the French horns,but I think my main problem is that I am working with Finale, and I can't quite get the dynamics right. I'm much more comfortable with a notation program than I am with a sequencer. Maybe I should learn more about sequencing.
    I will certainly try as you suggested. At least now I know the reason for no mutes used with the flugelhorn
    Thank you one and all for your assistance.

Bob De Celle

Another good reason to know more about sequencing: Sequencers generally have much more detailed audio mixing facilities and effects available. You could break the flugelhorns out to separate channels in the mixing section and apply parametric EQ to simulate the type of mute you desire. Mutes can be thought of as "fixed" filters so carefully applied EQ can achieve similar results. At the very least, you would gain a great deal of flexibility in treating individual instruments.

Tom

Power Profile User

I've been avoiding sequencing for awhile now, but the time has come where I'm going to have to cram. Believe it or not I understand what you suggest (at least I know that much about sequencing), and it's an excellent idea. The more I do this and the more I ask questions, the more I see the endless possibilities. Thank you so much for the suggestion, Tom

Bob De Celle

If it's any consoloation, some sequencers do have serviceable "notation view" screens that will still let you work with written notes instead of numerical data or piano roll. Most of the major brands of sequencers, at least on the PC, have entry level versions that are less intimidating but still offer all the MIDI editing options you'll need. For instance, I use Cakewalk Sonar, but they also offer Home Studio. There are lots of downloadable demos available so you can explore which software best fits your way of working.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Power Profile User

Thanks again for your input. When I first started midi, all I knew was Cakewalk, not very well, but I was at least I was familiar with the interface, and the various views. My problem was with the notation, and I didn't think Cakewalk or Sonar had the notational capabilities that Finale or Sibelius had. I never did get into the techniniques of sequencing because I felt more comfortable with a notation program. Although notation is very important to me, I can see now that both are needed. I have Sonar 4 and have been fooling around with it, but I'm really a novice at it and have a lot of trouble, even with the language. I'm not in any way putting notation in front of sequencing because like I said, both are needed.
    For some reason I don't do very well with manuals. I seem to do better just pecking away.
    Thanks again.

Bob De Celle

Go Back to forum